Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Just looked at the schematics quickly, looks like the brain board needs +5v only. It's the fader boards that need more. The schems indicate that the fader boards need +5v, +12v and +/-16v. Looks like +/-16v is needed for the opamps (NJM 4560). I don't know what they're used for. I won't research on this until I'm done with the software, let me know if you guys succeeds in mounting the PSU in! :) Good luck!

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby deanoh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:27 pm

@synthjoe,

Hi again,
Regarding the noise figure, can be found from specs of all PSUs including the Sparkle they suggest at the database, although the noise figure is heavily influenced from the power input. I don’t know anything about the damping factor, I’ll check.
If the current is 25A and as you mentioned in your page 15 post, the voltage is regulated from 12V down to 5V, taking the highest figure (12V) will give us max 300W, right? The CPUs recommended in the database consume between 20 and 35 watts, so without those and the rest that are not needed in the rack and desk, we get I guess to 250W max. By the way, do you know where at the database says, that the Aztec supply is a switching supply, what do they mean?
If Marc is right regarding the +/- 16V and it is used for the opamps only then…, you are right that 5 & 12V supply is all it needs :D . As for the rest of the specs you mentioned, we’ll all check and get back to this.

Regards,
Deanoh
deanoh

Postby synthjoe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Marc Girard wrote:Looks like +/-16v is needed for the opamps (NJM 4560).

Marc is right - sorry for my mistake. Damn, I have overlooked the opamps - they are used to 'amplify' the value read out from V-pot and fader positions and to control fader motors. Now the only question is how much current they all draw. It makes the required PSU quite a bit more complicated...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:30 am

I have been lacking in posting on this forum (very busy) and you might be able to tell I am cleaning up my unread posts here... I do not like being this busy... sorry but I don't. It is good to be busy but....... :|

WHATEVER!

I would have said one word... v-pot... I think optimum at 17volts (schee-nabs say 16???) I remember 17volts this is just stuck in my head. Count them up, as any good engineer will tell you calculate at full load there are your watts... easy stuff Watson...

I am not so sure about the actual fader motor voltage, the control voltage may be the 16/17v as Joe suggests.

If you can count you will know the required load of the 16/17 volt transformer - the main thing is that it remains consistent - it needs to be stable. As the load increases (think automation) it can not have any drop. Fortunately, the load can not be that great and there may be an allowable (acceptable) amount of drop (I say nope). In fact, this might be a non-issue, but it did cross my mind - as I also do these sorts of calcs in custom applications with various bits of gear quite often, not everyday, but it is one of my jobs. It is not foreign to me.

It would actually be easy to build one, expensive but easy. And better yet they could be a source for this type of voltage with the requirements needed, but honestly I have been around the block and I am not holding my breath on this one until we find it. Ground up is the way to go on this IMO, and it can be tailored to fit inside the box this way. Equally easy is a smart switch that would sense power at the new power supply so you could run the d8b as a d8b and leave the BFC connected! As soon as the new power supply power cycles, it hits the contact point that disables all power from the Mackie CPU - this way you have both - brilliant!!!

And simple to do.

I count 33 v-pots and 25 faders - in a couple of weeks I can spec this out, but you guys will already have one built by then, I will check the thread so I don't waste my time. :arrow:

@Marc... maybe at this point it is a good idea to get v1.0 out. It does not need to be perfectly packaged and completely saleable. This will allow some much needed cash flow to you and also get you motivated to make those improvements. No one is getting v1.1 until they pay more money- this is how buy and sell works, and as much Internet activity you have had here and at gearslutz and who know where else, including the YouTube stuff… believe me I am telling the truth, there are many more who have not heard of this yet, so there is a market guy or a buyout in your future.

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby frama78 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 am

+1!

i´ve got my D8b and i´m in contact with a lot of d8b-users. actually, they´re offered me to buy their consoles since they are often replaced by DAW-Controllers. each time i get a D8b offered (7 units in the moment only in germany!) i tell about this project and in the end, no one will sell a D8b anymore till they see if and how the mod will work!

there is definitly a large demand on the mod. and i can´t wait myself :-)
frama78

Postby frama78 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 am

+1!

i´ve got my D8b and i´m in contact with a lot of d8b-users. actually, they´re offered me to buy their consoles since they are often replaced by DAW-Controllers. each time i get a D8b offered (7 units in the moment only in germany!) i tell about this project and in the end, no one will sell a D8b anymore till they see if and how the mod will work!

frama78

Postby synthjoe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:36 am

frama78 wrote:+1!

If you happen to get another offered that the owner doesn't want to keep, I'm after a second to keep mine rolling (so even a wrecked one could be of interest to me). Obviously, my budget is rather tight as a result, but I'd be happy to drive to Germany to pick up one... :)

Please do let me know if another one comes your way!
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Badbass780 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:38 am

OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD! ...HUI! the original HUI uses all the same components and has an internal power supply with a regular AC plug. Wouldn't that component work as a replacement of the d8b CPU?
Badbass780

Postby deanoh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:48 pm

@ frama78,

As synthjoe said, one for me also if you are asked again so, make them two as I am in the same route please!

Many Thanks
deanoh

Postby frama78 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:07 pm

I´ll keep my ears open :)

Frank
frama78

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum