Change font size   Print view

word clock withouit apogee card

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

word clock withouit apogee card

Postby seasiderecording » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 am

I have had my d8b setup for 13 years with apogee card and a motu 2408 to digital performer.

I have a second donated d8b pretty much working that I want to use in my school classroom in an identical setup.

Well, Almost identical. the new board has only the stock clock card and I am getting dropouts when recording.
this board also has the tdif / lightpipe cards. I am using lightpipe connections.

Do I need to use a BNC syn cable between one of the D8b cards and the 2408? I didn't use one. I do at my own studio setup though with sync set to wordclock.But I have the apogee card at home.

Any suggestions on the proper hookup and settings for this to work? Do I need the apogee card for this to work?

Thanks for any help.
apogee clock, MOTU 2408, Mac 2.66 quad powermac, Digital Performer, D8b owner since 2000
seasiderecording

Re: word clock withouit apogee card

Postby Carlo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:49 am

I use the same system. My d8b is currently hooked up to a 2408MK2 through lightpipe sync. Set the motu control panel from your pc to clock through ADAT A, B or C. no need for wordclock.

C
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Seaside, I am assuming you are using DIO.8 cards if you are seeing BNC connections. Those particular BNC connections are setup for Tascam clocking as I recall. Here is what I pulled from the site.

All versions of DIO-8 will function with older Tascam DTRS recorders (DA38's, DA88's & DA98's). The TDIF interfaces on these devices require the clock signal from the DIO-8 card's BNC sync output, with the exception of the MX2424 - which can also be clocked from the Word Clock output of the Apogee Clock I/O card.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby seasiderecording » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm

I tried setting it to adapt and other settings too. Settings other than internal on the 2408 do not work at all.
I have my old clock card from my studio d8b. I guess I could try that.
The cars may also put out optical data if it is synced by tdif.
apogee clock, MOTU 2408, Mac 2.66 quad powermac, Digital Performer, D8b owner since 2000
seasiderecording

Postby seasiderecording » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Carlo, do you have the apogee clock card in your setup?
seasiderecording

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

seasiderecording wrote:Carlo, do you have the apogee clock card in your setup?

I know I am not Carlo, but I recall a thread with Carlo where we went through this scenario. He does not have an Apogee clock card and is using the stock clock card as I recall. I also found this on the site if it helps:

Can I sync other devices to the D8B via ADAT (ODI - light pipe) or AES EBU without the Sync card?
Yes. ADAT/ODI and AES/EBU can be locked to as clock reference. The D8B must be in Internal mode. You can even chain devices using ADAT ODI or AES EBU. - See PDI-8 (AES) or OPT-8 (ODI - light pipe)
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:33 pm

I know I am not Carlo, but I recall a thread with Carlo where we went through this scenario. He does not have an Apogee clock card and is using the stock clock card as I recall.

Huh? Three up from the bottom of page 2 of that thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1001 , Carlo states:
I grabbed another APOGEE Clock card so i have TWO d8b's each with an apogee clock card.

It would appear he is now working with a pair of Apogee clock card equipped D8B's.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I recall a thread with someone, I guess it was not Carlo, where they were able to clock through the optical lines on the d8b side anyway. Sorry, my memory is far from perfect, I have tried to find the thread but I have struck out thus far. Anyway, that was the point.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi there,

In fact now i'm working with an apogee but my d8b was hooked up to ADAT for 8 years and it worked fine. Have you tried and configure your MOTU control panel to ADAT A, B or C?

Sorry for the late reply but i was sick
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Make sure that the bank you are clocking to e.g. Bank A its ins/out are set to ADAT not analogue.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum