Change font size   Print view

Frankenstien d8b?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Frankenstien d8b?

Postby Davo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:59 am

Whoa... hey.... so this is where everybody went! Gee whiz..... ignore the Mackie forum for a year or two and everybody disappears! I like this one though - all the nice technical details I need to keep the beast alive.
Speaking of which: I've recently acquired a low hours, non-working d8b (bad mobo and something seriously amiss with the main analog outputs...) that I plan on utilizing primarily for switch covers & switches (you know - the normal wear items) since those are really the only things wrong with my trusty old board (and Mackie no longer even sells them!!). My plan at the moment is to basically put my console's guts (with the exception of the switch & fader layer) into the shell of the cosmetically superior non-working unit. This should work, right? But it did get me wondering about one thing - where in the inner workings of the d8b does it's ESN identity reside....? I want to keep all my software active so I would imagine that it needs to stay in touch with the ESN from my old console, correct? Will I end up with a split personality?!
Davo
Davo

Re: Frankenstien d8b?

Postby High C Double G » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:43 am

The ESN resides in the brain board. But if you need to switch out brain boards due to failure, you might be able to return the old one to Mackie and they could set you up with your codes and licenses on your new brain board. Best to contact Mackie tech support if it comes to that.

Hope this helps...

Good luck with your project!

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Davo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:55 am

Thanks but..... In the end I opted to just swap out the fader & switch layer/boards on my old desk with the lovely, much less used parts from the non-working board. Just a couple of hours' work got me up and running with no problems. I've replaced a fader and a couple of switch covers before so it was familiar territory. I must say, it's REALLY NICE to have all my d8b buttons standing proud and working correctly.... no more hammering on that pesky channel 24/48 mute!!

Davo
Davo

Postby High C Double G » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:02 am

Awesome!

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum