Change font size   Print view

Extend d8b's BFC and Data Cable??

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Extend d8b's BFC and Data Cable??

Postby Maloik » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:10 am

Hey guys!
I am just building my new studio.
It will contain some very noisy equipment (2 d8b cpus, Radar 2 unit, PC,...) so I thought about installing all the stuff into a machine room to keep the control room quiet.

Unfortunately there is no useable room directly near the control room.So I'd have to extend all of the cables to a length of about 10-15 meters.
I think the Keyboard, mouse, VGA cables are not a big problem, but what about the BFC-cable and the data cable? Is it possible to extend those easily? and will there be any problems with digital cables (optical, TDIF and AES/EBU) in this length?

Or does anybody have another idea how to deal with the noise?
Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Extend d8b's BFC and Data Cable??

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:31 pm

When this console was in production, there was an extension made for the big ass cable but they are a far and few between these days. I believe there was another guy on here that built something himself to extend his set up. I can't remember what the maximum runs are off hand but I would think getting 10 meters would work.

Your other option is some sort of quiet rack to knock your sound issues down. Something like this or similar:

http://www.xrackpro.com/
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Extend d8b's BFC and Data Cable??

Postby Maloik » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:48 am

Hey Crash thanks for your reply!

So the big ass cable should not be a problem. But what about the Data Cable? Is this a normal pin to pin connection or is there anything of crossover wiring in there? Do you think there could occure any problems with a length about 10 meters or so?
If the length is not a problem I'd make one. What kind of cable would you recommand for that purpose?

I also thought about the silent rack solution but I'd need the 12 unit version which cost around 2 grand. And I can't really afford this at the moment. But thanks anyway ;-)

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum