Change font size   Print view

Additional Hard Drive

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Additional Hard Drive

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Good Day to all:

I have been really getting an education these past few days on this forum, and I have to pause and say thank you.

Since the CPU is nothing more than an old Pentium computer motherboard and power supply for both CPU and console, I wonder if the following can work. Any help would be appreciated. Is it possible to plug a Hard Drive into the secondary IDE channel as a master, (D:>)and then either copy or mirror everything from the C:> to it, in order to back up the OS and other data files? I say this because with all of the authorization issues / problems, and the fact that most of the solutions noted in the forum seem to be repaired by re-installing the OS, does it make sense to have as a back up, that can be copied back over to the C:> drive if a failure occurs, instead of having to generating bootable floppy diskettes?
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Additional Hard Drive

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 pm

I would think we would have seen somebody do this by now if it were possible. I could be wrong though I suppose. It does seem to be an interesting scenario to explore.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Additional Hard Drive

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:Good Day to all:

I have been really getting an education these past few days on this forum, and I have to pause and say thank you.

Since the CPU is nothing more than an old Pentium computer motherboard and power supply for both CPU and console, I wonder if the following can work. Any help would be appreciated. Is it possible to plug a Hard Drive into the secondary IDE channel as a master, (D:>)and then either copy or mirror everything from the C:> to it, in order to back up the OS and other data files? I say this because with all of the authorization issues / problems, and the fact that most of the solutions noted in the forum seem to be repaired by re-installing the OS, does it make sense to have as a back up, that can be copied back over to the C:> drive if a failure occurs, instead of having to generating bootable floppy diskettes?

Simply image the drive and save the imaged file to your computer, or cd/dvd for that matter. In the event of a failure of the CPU's boot disk, obtain and re-image another one, then install it into the d8b's CPU... batta-bing, batta-boom... problem solved... :ugeek:

Hope this helps... ;)

Peace

You knew it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum