Change font size   Print view

How to clone the HD of the mackie d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: How to clone the HD of the mackie d8b

Postby bitSync » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Carlo wrote:I see, thanks very much

Is it possible to split the image file from 20GB into smaller chunks e.g 4gb sizes for easy of transfer?
Is the Macrium Reflect 5.2 software capable of splitting the image?

Regards

Carlo

Hey Carlo,

I don't know if it's possible using that software to make a fractional image of a source drive (e.g., only image the first 4 GB of a 20 GB drive, then the next 4 GB, etc.) but I'm not optimistic. I'm not sure exactly why you would want to do this since it would be much more complicated and prone to operator error, not easier necessarily. I think the 20 GB image took about 13 minutes to make using an external USB2-PATA(IDE) drive adapter. Hopefully, the 20 GB of necessary drive space is not an issue for your host machine. One thing that is certainly possible is that once the image has been written out to smaller media, such as the 4 GB Compact Flash, you can then image that 4 GB Compact Flash onto your host's HDD and then you'll have just the 4 GB image to write out to new/backup media, and that takes only a matter of seconds to do. Hope this helps.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 am

Hi There,

I bought a cheap USB2-IDE adaptor but when i connected the HD no disk was shown in MY COMPUTER. On the disk manager the HD is unallocated...any help? I cant see the files of the OS and so i cant clone.
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:32 am

Hey Carlo,

Is this HDD you tried to mount the one from your d8b or is it some other HDD?

When I connect the Mackie source HDD I first insert the IDE connector of the USB2-IDE adapter into the drive IDE socket making sure it's keyed properly in the IDE socket. I then apply power to the HDD and wait a moment for it to spin up. I then insert the USB connector from the USB2-IDE adapter into one of the host machine's USB2 ports. If this is the first time, Windows should report that it's installing the device driver, after which the drive should be visible on the system. You may get a prompt asking what you'd like to do (browse files with Explorer, etc.).

At this point your My Computer should show the drive with label "MKIED8B3".

In Device Manager | Disk Drives you should see "MAXTOR 6 L020J1 USB Device".

Macrium Reflect should also show the disk as "MBR Disk n [hhhhhhhh] - MAXTOR 6 L020J1 <19.14 GB>", where n is a sequential one-up count of the number of disks in your system, and hhhhhhhh is an eight digit hex value for the drive ID.

Do you see anything like this?
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Bitsync,

Mission accomplished. I was using an old HD of my previous pc (could have been corrupted). I pulled out the d8b HD and all is well. I managed to see the files and label is MKIED8D3. I would like to add something. I took an image of the partition with Macrium (INTELLIGENT SECTOR COPY setting as recommended by macrium) which was approx 28MB. I restored it back on another IDE drive and the d8b manged to boot it. So in other words there is no need to take a full image of the HD. With the INTELLIGENT SECTOR COPY the image took around 5 seconds to complete and another 5 seconds to restore :D .The MACKIE OS is less than 30MB. I thing you should do a wright up and store it in the d8b database. This is very useful for those who lost their codes you know. ;)

Thanks for your help and i can now confirm that your method works.

Peace & respect

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Carlo wrote:Hi Bitsync,

Mission accomplished. I was using an old HD of my previous pc (could have been corrupted). I pulled out the d8b HD and all is well. I managed to see the files and label is MKIED8D3. I would like to add something. I took an image of the partition with Macrium (INTELLIGENT SECTOR COPY setting as recommended by macrium) which was approx 28MB. I restored it back on another IDE drive and the d8b manged to boot it. So in other words there is no need to take a full image of the HD. With the INTELLIGENT SECTOR COPY the image took around 5 seconds to complete and another 5 seconds to restore :D .The MACKIE OS is less than 30MB. I thing you should do a wright up and store it in the d8b database. This is very useful for those who lost their codes you know. ;)

Thanks for your help and i can now confirm that your method works.

Peace & respect

Carlo

Hey Carlo,

I'm so glad it worked out for you. That's good to know about the Intelligent Sector Copy option; I was unaware. That saves about 25 minutes from the entire operation! I do intend to write this up, maybe over the weekend. Given the state of Mackie's authorization code generator for Mackie OS 5.1 it's reassuring to know you've got a copy of your OS, plug-ins, and session files backed up. Best regards.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks to you BitSync...

Regards

Carlo
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum