Change font size   Print view

Big trouble

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Big trouble

Postby tdowns777 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 am

First, I apologize if a lot of these issues have been posted on this forum and I just can't find them.
I have been experiencing some trouble with my d8b on boot up, sometimes having to do it twice. I replaced the battery and reset the cmos (V. 3.0) but it didn't really change anything. Every once in a while it goes to the flashing lights (railcaps?), usually I turn it off, tighten the power and data connections and that solves that problem. Today I went into the studio and the power had gone out while everything was on. When I tried to reboot, first I got the flashing lights, rebooted again and now it waits a while and goes to error 43. It won't allow me to enter the cmos settings, it just keeps going to error 43. I have another console, (V.5.1), I've never used it, just turned it on when I got it and made sure it worked. I took the data and power connectors from the V5.1 cpu and connected them to the old console. It appeared on the monitor and said I had to reset the cmos. The settings are completely different than the V 3 cpu, it contains easily twice as much information as the old cpu and I don't know where to find the cmos setting that seemed to relate to the newer cpu. When I tried to connect the newer V 5 cpu back to it's original console it would't boot there either, I did change some of the settings on the cmos for the new console/cpu but I don't have any thing that appears to look like the cmos information on V5. So now nothing works, when I turn on V5 it says "boot failed", when I try V3 it just goes to error 43. Any help would be apprreciated and also, is there any problem with hooking the V5 cpu to the console that has been being used with the V3 cpu?
tdowns777

Re: Big trouble

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Here are the bios settings for both different types of processors used. Are holding down the delete key as the console boots up? This should take you to the bios settings if you have a keyboard hooked up and it is being recognized. Verify that all of your connections are really where you think they are going between the consoles.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post1

Get these settings all sussed out and see where you are with both your consoles. Hopefully you can get the unit with 5.1 up and going as it is a more flexable and robust OS.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Big trouble

Postby bitSync » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 pm

tdowns777 wrote:Any help would be apprreciated and also, is there any problem with hooking the V5 cpu to the console that has been being used with the V3 cpu?

There's no problem using that CPU, per se, but there is a problem using the licensed, unlocked v5.1 software on that CPU with the console that has been used for v3. This is because there is some Mackie magic that goes on to compare the Electronic Serial Number (ESN) (not the hardware serial number) on the console brainboard and an unlock code that was generated by Mackie to associate your v5.1 software with that console ESN through some sort of Mackie proprietary algorithm. You can use your v5.1 CPU to run the v3 software with your v3 console, but the v5.1 software won't run using the v3 console's ESN. Sorry if that's confusing but that's pretty much the gist of it.

If you still have the Mackie unlock code for your v5.1 and the ESN on the console it was running on, don't lose that information because at present, Mackie has no way of regenerating that unlock code, meaning that without the magic numbers you may never be able to run v5.1 again. Big mess. Mackie's unlock code server is broken and there is no ETA for a fix.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum