Change font size   Print view

Fearless Noobie Basics / Logic or Cubase?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Fearless Noobie Basics / Logic or Cubase?

Postby hoodedmonk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:42 am

Hi.
I've just inherited a fine D8b. So used to going into other studios and using SSLs or whatever the gig calls for. Got a Pro Tool set up on my Mac (Mbox2) for edits and song demos. Basically I'm a Tracker. And proud of it. When a musician hires me I don't want him/her to do anything but plug in and play.

I'm looking to spend about 2k to be able to track using this d8b. The previous owner had it hooked into a Digi003. Which seemed redundant because he was still using the last 8 of the d8b for some level of control.

My question is very simple: I don't have the Mackie HD so what software is going to give me the quickest setup to track live audio and allow some basic midi syncing?

PS I will either buy a tricked out PC or a dual boot Mac Mini. In the future I'll consider the d8b bridge 2.0. But I need to start tracking songs NOW. Can't wait.

Thanks. You guys are great!!!
hoodedmonk

Re: Fearless Noobie Basics / Logic or Cubase?

Postby bitSync » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:40 am

Welcome!

When you say you don't have the Mackie HD, are you meaning the entire d8b CPU/PSU chassis? Or do you really mean just the hard disk drive?
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:35 pm

I use HDR's for tracking and editing, but I also use Logic, via Motu 2408 but this only gives you 8 in/outs.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 am

Oh, that kind of HD...

Well, so many DAWS, so little time. Many awesome DAWs out there that will do what you want.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hoodedmonk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:18 am

Thanks. I have the power-cpu. But yeah, when the Previous owner had it it seemed like pro tools was not made for it.

I'm hoping i can just plug in and use the last 8 channels. Track 5 tracks of drums, 1 bass, 1 guitar 1 scratch vocal. Straight funky rock and roll. Add 8 tracks and overdub till my brain is empty.

I'm not going to sit there and play with plugins. At least not until the song is feeling right. So am I going need something between the cards in the back of the board and my computer?
hoodedmonk

Postby hoodedmonk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 am

I do believe he had an analog to digital rack hooked up somewhere in the signal chain. Come to think of it he may have had the digital in and outs going to the digi03.

You see he eventually got a Yamaha digital mixer and then got the Berringer which is perfect for his Avid version of Pro Tools (9).

How can I make His second hand board my total solution for basic recording?
hoodedmonk

Return to d8b Forum