Change font size   Print view

RME Hammerfall with D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: RME Hammerfall with D8B

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:58 am

I use ASIO with no problems.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 pm

So I switched to ASIO and now am able to send tracks back to there respective channel on layer two! Thanks, that was a big help.

Still unable to get the clock card to sync, but so far hasn't kept me from tracking. No glitches, pops, cracks, so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment.

As for the midi control, I think I've got it working half-way.... Whenever I push play on the DAW, the numbers start to scroll on the console, and the appropriate light lights up on the button, but if I try and use the buttons to activate play, stop and so on, nothing happens... I only messed with it for a couple minutes so maybe I am missing something.

Exciting nonetheless to be making some headway in my ventures with this board.
IronBone

Postby FrankH » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:42 pm

Still unable to get the clock card to sync
Could you be a bit more specific about this?
but if I try and use the buttons to activate play, stop and so on, nothing happens
Since you have the transport clocking, MTC is feeding the D8B...that's step one and means you at least have MIDI from the DAW feeding MIDI in of the D8B. You now need MIDI out from the D8B to be sent back to the DAW for step two....which is to activate MMC in Sonar:

Edit > Preferences > Project - Clock.

The idea is this: You press the PLAY button on the D8B. An MMC command is sent to Sonar. Sonar responds and rolls its transport, which in turn starts spitting out MTC to the D8B and the D8B "rolls".
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:14 am

Alright, thanks for the tips. I think I was getting confused between the MTC, MMC, SMPTE, midi sync, and word sync.... so, I'm gonna fool around with it a little more tomorrow.

As far as the clock syncing issue, I'm basing this off the display in the RME settings that shows sync, lock, and not synced for the ADAT 1,2,3 and midi, and clock... and whenever the settings in sonar for the source is set to anything other than internal, the time display at the top of sonar reads waiting for 30fps clock sync... or something like that.
IronBone

Postby IronBone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:19 pm

So, I'm a dumbass! The cables were backwards for the word clock. Sometimes it's the simple stuff! Working fine now.
Still only getting one direction of midi...
IronBone

Postby FrankH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:22 am

Still only getting one direction of midi...
You said the D8B was seeing MTC (D8B's transport rolls when Sonar plays) This means you haven't assigned Sonar to see MIDI in from the D8B. (You do have two MIDI cables between the RME and the D8B, right?)

You need to investigate Sonar's software (and read their manual on the subject...particularly on MMC ) In Sonar, start here:

Edit > Preferences > Project - Clock.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:52 am

Yes, I do have the in, and the out cables hooked up. I keep looking through the preferences and the only place that I see anything about MMC is in the Project - Midi menu.
I haven't looked into the manual or help menu too much, just trial by error, but that's next.
IronBone

Previous

Return to d8b Forum