Change font size   Print view

sync Pro Tools to d8b -non hui

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

sync Pro Tools to d8b -non hui

Postby Capt. Kirk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:43 pm

I just pulled my d8b out of storage and am wanting to try and use some of the great things inside this unit. I'm currently using an old Mac Pro with ProTools 8 and would like to sync via midi control. I just mainly would like for it to operate the transport controls and use some of the automation/comps/gates/verbs/delays inside the d8b. Can someone direct me in that??

Thanks,

Kirk
:mrgreen:
Capt. Kirk

Re: sync Pro Tools to d8b -non hui

Postby FrankH » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I/O info would be helpful here. What is your D8B equipped with: sync card type, I/O card types? What are you planning to use as an audio I/O device? What kind of MIDI I/O device is being used?

For sync in PT8, it's the Setup/Periphrials menu you're looking for. The Mac's Audio MIDI Setup needs to be made aware of whatever I/Os you attach. There may be some driver software that need to be installed.

Audio hookup depends on your external audio I/O and the type of D8B I/O cards installed. If you plan to pass audio digitally back and forth, the audio I/O should optimally have WordClock I/O and the D8B should have an Apogee Sync card for proper WC connections between the two.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Capt. Kirk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Frank, Thanks. I have a digi 003 and Presonus Digimax fs. I'm currently running it back in as an analog signal. I also have the (3)DIO-8 cards and your standard Mackie clock. If I remember correctly Mackie doesn't to slave to any other clock source. I have midi/spdif/as well as adat where I could sync it through I think.
Capt. Kirk

Postby FrankH » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 pm

If you're using the D8B as an analog mixer with no Apogee Clock card, then it seems pretty simple.
The Digi 003 connects via FW to the Mac. The Presonus connects lightpipe in and out to the Digi 003 in. The Digi 003 connects MIDI in and out to the D8B. The Digimax should have a WC out connected to the 003's WC in.

This assumes you'll be using the Digi and Presonus as the analog inputs to PT8, then PT8 feeding back out to the 003/Presonus where the combo of analog Line outputs feed the D8B's Line inputs.

With MMC/MTC properly set in PT8, either the D8B or PT8's UI should control the transport of the D8B.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum