Change font size   Print view

BIOS Settings Confirmation Request

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: BIOS Settings Confirmation Request

Postby bitSync » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 am

bitSync wrote:I'm working on a theory that those 2 values may not be available in the BIOS POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP screen unless the motherboard detects an ATX style PSU, and I believe that all the d8bs shipped with AT style PSUs.

So, I just lashed up my d8b to 2 different PSUs at once, the original Sparkle AT CPU PSU and my new Seasonic fanless ATX PSU. The only thing the Sparkle was servicing was the 115vac to the Mackie power distribution board. The Seasonic fanless was supplying DC voltages to where ordinarily supplied: the mainboard power connector (the 20-pin rather than J8/J9), the floppy drive, the hard disk drive (now a 4 GB Compact Flash in this unit), and finally to the Mackie linear power supply. So all the DC voltages to the CPU/PSU subsystem were provided by the Seasonic fanless PSU and the old Sparkle was just passing 115vac through to the chassis power switch and the Mackie power distribution board.

Lo and behold, when I booted the machine and looked in the BIOS POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP screen, the two absentee power management settings, 'Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN' and 'PWR Lost Resume State' were now visible on the screen. Apparently, the BIOS is smart enough to detect a power connection on either the 20-pin power connector or the J8/J9 power connectors and determine whether the board is being powered by an AT PSU or an ATX PSU.

I think this means I'll be able to run the chassis off the Seasonic fanless (with the addition of 115vac routing somehow - still need to sort that out) and use the BIOS setting 'PWR Lost Resume State' = 'Turn On' to automatically boot the system when power is applied, hopefully through the chassis front panel AC switch. It looks like I may be able to eliminate the fan noise from the Sparkle PSU.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: BIOS Settings Confirmation Request

Postby Crash » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Most interesting. I am not sure I would know how to mix anymore without the sound of the CPU blasting fan noise into my room.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum