Change font size   Print view

HDD Cloning Procedure Writeup Available for Review

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: HDD Cloning Procedure Writeup Available for Review

Postby bitSync » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 am

schehf wrote:...I would love to overwrite it with an image that for sure works.

That should be fine for Mackie OS 3, unfortunately, not for Mackie OS 5. The authorized (operable) version of Mackie OS 5 is tied directly to your d8b control surface. If you're wanting to restore Mackie OS 3 you should be able to do that from an image someone's willing to provide you. Sounds like you've got bigger challenges than the hard disk though...
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby schehf » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:42 am

Version 3 is fine. It was on there before the crash.
schehf

Postby Petersueco » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 pm

bitSync wrote:The revised edition of the disc cloning procedure has been uploaded to a file sharing site here -

http://snk.to/f-cd19qk9t

I don't anticipate making any more changes so this version can replace the one that's in the database. Thanks.

I've uploaded the new version. It has the same size as the old one. Please verify the new uploaded version is in fact the revised one.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Hey y'all... I'm just catching up to all this...

For any/all you Linux users, this is pretty easy if you're handy with a shell terminal. Just assume the CF card is mounted the same way it's been documented here, regarding the hardware. Really no difference... in Linux, just pull up a terminal window and get this done with a BASH shell with a coupla simple commands. First of all, get the mounted CF card device info with the following (do this as the root user or use sudo):

Code: Select all
root@localhost ~$ cat /proc/partitions

That's gonna give you device info for what's attached to the machine like so:

major minor  #blocks  name
   7     0    3906528 loop0
   8     0  976762584 sda
   8     1     512000 sda1
   8     2   16441344 sda2
   8     3   52428800 sda3
   8     4          1 sda4
   8     5  907377664 sda5
  11    0    1437216 sr0
   8    16  976762584 sdb
   8    17  976760001 sdb1

For discussions purposes, my CF card wasn't attached when I did this, but it was listed as 'sdd' in the device list (like above). You can then get some further info on the partition/disk as follows:

root@localhost ~$ parted /dev/sdd print
Disk /dev/sdd: 4000MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: /dev
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
1       0.00B  4000MB  4000MB  fat32

OK, make sure you've got a directory setup to store the device image that's about to be created. Again, for discussions purposes, I used /root/images/mackie-os/ for the destination. Now create the image as follows:

root@localhost ~$ dd if=/dev/sdd of=/root/images/mackie-os/mackie.os51.sp3.img

Go grab something to eat, or do something else if you're using something other than a compact flash card; yeah, yeah, it can be a lengthy process yada yada yada. However, this IS a secure, byte-by-byte transfer of the selected attached device - partition table, boot flags and all. You could theoretically image just the partition of a hard disk to shorten the process time length, but I didn't test that, so... ("your actual mileage may vary...")

Now, mount it and take a look what was imaged; make sure there's a directory already created for this - I used /mnt/data/mackie-os/ as my destination for the local mount.

root@localhost ~$ mount -o loop,ro,offset=32256 /root/images/mackie-os/mackie.os51.sp3.img /mnt/data/mackie-os

Now you can look at the files on the mounted drive in a file explorer type application window, and do whatever else you need to do locally on your pc. But suppose you gotta get that image back onto a new CF card (or any other media), now what? Just reverse the process by loading up the new CF card and get the hardware recognized by the operating system. Then it's just reversing the input and output file parameters of the 'dd' command (if= & of=):

root@localhost ~$ dd if=/root/images/mackie-os/mackie.os51.sp3.img of=/dev/sdd

Pop the CF card out at the end of the imaging process, and install it in your D8B.

Boot it up and enjoy... :D

This obviously assumes a lot, but I think most of it was covered in the excellent work here that bitSync and everyone else that's contributed to that documentation effort (Kudos Gang!). My apologies for a being Late To The Game, but this should only be helpful to a small number of people that DON'T use Windows. The above process could theoretically be duplicated in the MacOS environment with a terminal, due to the fact that the operating system runs BSD Linux at its core... :geek:

However...

You knew it was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum