Change font size   Print view

new d8bridge approach

Discussion board for ProBox users

Re: new d8bridge approach

Postby MrMister » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Hello bitsync,

the Probox only handle the data requests between your host and the d8b mainboard. It will not provide the console with voltages / power. So you need the CPU/PSU as intended. (but not the CPU Part as Ralph describes in another topic how to bypass the CPU Part).

Maybe this is an interesting thing for a Probox V2 to provide the power for the d8b Unit. ? ;-)

I am looking forward to test the whole box and report it to ralph and share my experience with it to make the best out of it.

Cheers

Tom
Mac Pro 2,8 Ghz Octo, 18 GB RAM, 3 TB HDD, OSX 10.6.8, Apogee Ensemble, 1 UAD-2 Quad+Solo, AMT8, LC + LC XT, Mackie d8b - Probox, BAE 1084 Vintage EQ, Joemeek OneQ, TL Audio Fat Track, FMR RNC, Logic 9.1.8
MrMister

Postby bitSync » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:49 pm

MrMister wrote:Hello bitsync,

the Probox only handle the data requests between your host and the d8b mainboard. It will not provide the console with voltages / power. So you need the CPU/PSU as intended. (but not the CPU Part as Ralph describes in another topic how to bypass the CPU Part).

Maybe this is an interesting thing for a Probox V2 to provide the power for the d8b Unit. ? ;-)

I am looking forward to test the whole box and report it to ralph and share my experience with it to make the best out of it.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks, Tom. This confirms my understanding that when munk says -

munkustrap wrote:You need the powersupply, the CPU is not connected.

he is meaning that you need a power supply, not necessarily a different fanless power supply as described elsewhere in the thread. The power supply voltages supplied by the d8b PSU/CPU are still an appropriate power source for the control surface functions when using ProBox. In the instance where a ProBox user is using the d8b stock PSU/CPU, the unit is indeed connected, but only to supply power.

At the moment I am using an A/B switch to switch between DB25 I/O with either the d8b PSU/CPU or with the d8bridge v1.1 serial/USB interface to the host DAW (http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=696). If I chose to go the route of the ProBox I would just replace the A/B switch d8bridge I/O with the ProBox I/O.

Thanks again!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm

@bitsync

I know you directed your question directtly at Ralph....but from what he said in a earlier post YES, you can still use your original psu/cpu. the probox hooks up to your midi & data ports on the console.

So if you have a modded psu/cpu or a stand alone power supply (without cpu) it doesnt matter....just as long as your board gets power. The Probox will connect via midi and d25 sub pin into the data port on the back of the mixer.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby deanoh » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:33 am

Guys,

I was hoping that someone would help with instructions (if anyone knows) how to build an internal PSU for the console only. I mean the internal connections and circuit voltages as I can handle soldering but I’m not too electronic savvy.

That old thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=652 never really progressed and the other thread that Ralph started, mentions how to modify an existing rack PSU/CPU.

Anyone?

Many Thanks,

Deanoh
deanoh

Postby munkustrap » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks for all users here that help each others on questions.
really great that many of you have already a big knowledge how it will work.

Indeed the Probox is connected EQUAL to the d8bridge (original PSU, 25pol CONSOLE plug to Probox)

The Probox itself is powered via USB, so no Power Connection necessary !

regarding build in PSU in console:
In my opinion it is not that difficult, but there is a big tricky part.

If you want to build in your PSU into the console do this

- buy a 5V/20A fanless powersupply and build it into the console (but the site with the components that needs cooling to the metal case of the console

- buy a 12V/6A fanless powersupply and do the same as with the 5V

- maybe ist a good idea to use the +/-16V / 48V supply from the CPU and the transformer for the console. Here is the tricky part !!!! The Regulators LM317 are driven at the edge of the specification. They really get very hot. As I do not havea PSU I rebuild thios circuit by mayself and placed the Regulators Outside at the back of the console including a heat sink OUTSITE to get a better cooling.

- connect the 230V/110V Inputs together (don't Forget fuses)

- Solder the Output voltages to the PCB ofd the Power connector (use the Service Manual for pin description.

I OPENED A NEW THREAD where you van VOTE if you would buy a fanless console build in PSU Kit. Maybe I find time in the next months to design something like that, if there is a big interest.
munkustrap

Postby Midirose » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:03 am

Munk I am another Mac / Pro Tools user looking forward to your HUI mode implementation in the Sept/Oct time frame. I've got money set aside for you. Excited about your product. Thank you for your work on this.
Midirose

Postby munkustrap » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi

I just want to let you all know that today I shipped the probox for the testuser out.
So the day where the first customer becomes his box is near.

In parallel I already started on HUI implementation.

best regards
Munk
munkustrap

Postby mixingmusic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I believe I'm that first Customer...............

patiently waiting!

Thanks
mixingmusic

Postby thruhiker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 pm

munkustrap wrote:In parallel I already started on HUI implementation.

YES!!! Thanks!!!! I look forward to hearing about the HUI progress.
thruhiker

Postby topdiggy2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 pm

That is a big move!!! YEAH...game changer!!!!
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to ProBox