Change font size   Print view

Silence is Golden - My Hotrod d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Silence is Golden - My Hotrod d8b

Postby salvaes » Sun May 04, 2014 5:33 am

how many hours you had turned on the console followed?
without the processor fan is not heated?
Macpro 12cores ,logic Pro ,RME Octamic2 X4 ,forusrite ISA , apogee DA16X ,
Antelope orion studio - apogee psx100 - TLA CLASSIC VALVE SERIES - SPL GOLDMIKE - Focal twin 6be, Adam A7x ,Mackie d8b
salvaes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Mon May 05, 2014 11:12 am

salvaes wrote:how many hours you had turned on the console followed?
without the processor fan is not heated?

@salvaes,

On a couple of occasions I've run on the order of 8 to 10 hours and many more shorter but multi-hour sessions. Please understand that I am not recommending this no CPU fan modification to others. I have sufficient spares to be willing to risk parts failure to see if this will work out in the long run without damage. I have simply made a personal judgment about the processor heat based on not very much. It could work out but there are no guarantees. So far so good though.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby salvaes » Tue May 06, 2014 4:56 pm

thank you very much for your advice, I am currently conducting tests, and made ​​changes to the chassis in the ventilation canduccion deleted e cpu fan, leaving only the psu, which put a quiet and Ventiler 7 volts, plus add a 4 gb card replacing the noisy hard drive.
noise is practically nonexistent.
I am prueva phase, as you said I also have spare parts, whether I think we can experiment to reach good conclusions.
Macpro 12cores ,logic Pro ,RME Octamic2 X4 ,forusrite ISA , apogee DA16X ,
Antelope orion studio - apogee psx100 - TLA CLASSIC VALVE SERIES - SPL GOLDMIKE - Focal twin 6be, Adam A7x ,Mackie d8b
salvaes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Just an update on the CPU's thermal performance. Still no guarantees here but this CPU has been run for hundreds of hours since this mod, on occasion for 8 to 10 hours at a stretch, and no issues with parts failures. FYI, I've been running the CPU rack mounted with a single empty rack space above the unit.
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:19 am

Hi BitSync,
As a machinist, I have a particular admiration for the work you did on this. It is a super-looking modification & a very necessary one. Great Work! Is the fan-less PS better in terms of clean power and stable voltage? Just wondering.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Old School wrote:Is the fan-less PS better in terms of clean power and stable voltage? Just wondering.

I haven't done any measurements on the power supply so I can't say. I assume so. The specs are good...
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BBell » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:54 am

bitSync,
Thanks for a great article.
I have been attempting to make some of the mods you've described. I have successfully created an uncompressed image file (Exact copy and Incremental, just in case) of my d8b's hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free v6.1. I have also purchased the StarTech PlateIDE2CF. The difference in my application is I have a SanDisk Ultra 8Gig (50MB/s or 333X) CF. Using the PlateIDE2CF, Windows (7 and 10) sees the CF with no problems. But Macrium Reflect Free does not see the CF in the Restore mode. Oddly, Reflect can see it in the Backup mode.
Reflect can see the d8b's hard drive in both Backup and Restore modes using the same IDE-USB device I am using for the PlateIDE2CF. I have tried setting the PlateIED2CF jumper to Master and Slave. I have tried USB3 and USB2 ports. I have recreated the image file in both Widnows7 and Windows10. None of these have seemed to work.
Other than the different CF I'm using, do you or anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks
Bruce
BBell

Postby BBell » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Well, I was never able to get Macrium Reflect Free to recognize my CF using the PlateIDE2CF. So I tried EaseUS Free Todo Backup (http://www.todo-backup.com/). This worked!
I have, from the old days, several IDE-USB2 hard drive enclosures. So connecting two of these, one to the d8b drive and one to the PlateIDE2CF, I was able to successfully Clone the Mackie's drive to the CF. I had planned to make two of these, so for the second one, again using EaseUS, I made an image file of the d8b's drive and then restored the image to the CF, which worked perfectly.
I'm not saying EaseUS Todo Backup is better than Macrium Reflect, but for my needs, EaseUS worked while Reflect did not. So I mention this as an alternative.
-BB
BBell

Postby bitSync » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

BBell wrote:Well, I was never able to get Macrium Reflect Free to recognize my CF using the PlateIDE2CF. So I tried EaseUS Free Todo Backup (http://www.todo-backup.com/). This worked!
I have, from the old days, several IDE-USB2 hard drive enclosures. So connecting two of these, one to the d8b drive and one to the PlateIDE2CF, I was able to successfully Clone the Mackie's drive to the CF. I had planned to make two of these, so for the second one, again using EaseUS, I made an image file of the d8b's drive and then restored the image to the CF, which worked perfectly.
I'm not saying EaseUS Todo Backup is better than Macrium Reflect, but for my needs, EaseUS worked while Reflect did not. So I mention this as an alternative.
-BB

Sorry for the delay, just checked in. I'm glad to hear that worked out for you. I've actually shifted to Acronis for imaging and backup. Thanks for the success report on EaseUS.
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby BBell » Fri May 13, 2016 6:40 pm

I have been supremely impressed with the mods bitSync made to make his d8b quiet and yet fully functional. However, for my skill set the mods were somewhat beyond me. So I took a slightly different path which for the last two months has served me well.
As described above, I removed the CPU fan, which in my instance was very loud. I replaced the hard drive with a compact flash. But rather than replace the power supply I replaced only the power supply fan. There are many quiet fans out there but most of them move too little air. The fan in my d8b's power supply was an AD0812HB which, according to specs, is rated at 39.6 CFM and 34.4 dB/A. I replaced it with a Silenx EFX-08-15 Effizio which is rated at 32 CFM and 15dB/A. I left the top off the d8b's CPU and placed it in a dedicated rack near the top where air could convect and yet objects wouldn't fall in the unit.
After 2 months of almost daily use I've had no problems. When I first turn the d8b on I really can't hear the fan. After several hours of use, presumably due to warming in the unit, the fan runs faster and I can be aware of it, but unless I think about it, I am not aware of it. I have been able to mic in the control room without bothersome fan noise.
Certainly bitSync's fanless mod is preferred, but this has suited me quite well.
BBell

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum