Change font size   Print view

d8b Aux Returns

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b Aux Returns

Postby Recording Drummer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi all,

Not sure about this. I am sure it's simple but the 3.0 manual is eluding me.

On conventional analog audio boards we have physical aux sends and aux returns. I do not see the aux returns on the d8b. What am I missing to connect my external digital effect?

RD
Recording Drummer

Re: d8b Aux Returns

Postby FrankH » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:29 pm

The D8B treats FX returns (49-72) internally via 4 FX card slots. If you want to use external units, you can use the analog sends on the back and return them into analog channels. Many users use the Alt I/O slot outfitted with an Analog I/O card for just such use. Of course, any analog input (1-24) could be used as a return.

As a historical bit of info for those who care about this stuff, an analog I/O FX card was proposed for the D8B but was shot down because the higher-ups wanted to make money via internal FX plug-in sales and felt this card would cut into profits. The sad part about this (other than the card being deep sixed) is that the company was incredibly bad at negotiating deals with 3rd party FX developers and that there weren't that many high end developers around in 1997.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b Aux Returns

Postby Recording Drummer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Thank you for that info. It makes sense with the way the board is set up. I figured that would be the way.
Recording Drummer

Return to d8b Forum