Change font size   Print view

POSSIBLY SELLING MY D8B...

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: POSSIBLY SELLING MY D8B...

Postby topdiggy2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:18 pm

@tgmuscian

That maybe a little pricey considering the usually sell around 500-750, despite what listings you see on ebay.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Tgmusicman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 am

Lol well I gotta start somewhere! I'll go lower than that but $500 is a little low I think.
Tgmusicman

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 am

500 - 750 is silly. Better off parting it out.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:04 pm

@ peter

I've never been one to get emotional about gear when it comes to selling them. And I come across people who think like that all the time who think that if they just sit on it long enough eventually it will magically appreciate in value like a piece of real estate or something. Eventually, they come to reality and sell at a realistic price.

My suggestion, price it reasonably, take what you can get, and go buy a piece of gear you can enjoy/use. Too many people try to get top dollar for a their headache case and think that the buyer on the other end doesnt know its a headache case.

Lol, lets be real. Buying a d8b these days is a headache case. This forum is the only place for support...seriously, a forum. And a hack job for repairs when needed. And its great dont get me wrong, but, I wouldnt price a d8b next to a newer board thats still supported by manf.

In this specific instance...his unit isnt in working condition. And nothing of value for parting out other than the word clock & 3x dio cards. Whats a dio card sell for these days (not their asking price on ebay, but the ones that actually sell) $50-$100. A apogee word clock goes for $250-$300. Hell, I bought a naked board for $100...remember the one with the missing eprom that was on ebay for 2-3 months...

There are all kinds of parts on ebay still...we have all seen the auctions they've been up for ever! Any sales? So dont think parting it out is gonna work as great either...you'll sell the word card first, and maybe the audio cards...after that your dead...youll end up letting someone take the rest for $300 at a garage sale. Happens all the time.

So, my point is I dont recommend letting pride get in the way of you moving on. Take what you can get, and spend that time you would have been waiting on a price you'll never get...spend that time on a new piece of gear you'll enjoy.

Seriously, $500-$700 is a reasonable price for a working unit. You figure as a buyer another $200 to ship, at $900 a buyer start considering other newer boards...wouldnt you?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Tgmusicman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Lol well if 500-700 is all people think I can get out of this then I'd rather set it in the corner and let it collect dust and rot lol. All that's needed is to reformat hard drive and it's back up and running. It does run on 5.1 but obviously no auth code. Guess I'll just reformat and go from there.
Tgmusicman

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:31 pm

@ TgMuscian

Then that's your best bet! - But if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? B/c if i remember your help post correctly you too just recently bought yours, right? And you bought it not working...FYI, they all run 5.1 demo...so that's not exactly a "selling point".

But you didn't buy it to "set it in a corner and rot..." you bought it to make music...so why hold onto something that will prevent you from doing that? Yep, all that "sit it in a corner and rot" talk, that's that pride talking! lol

Some of the more active guys here in this forum bought their D8b's retail when they were $5k-$10k machines, and Kuddos to them. But, that's true for all gear & used cars!!!! - LOL . No one needs to spend that kinda money these days on anything.

Quite frankly, TODAY a lot of us visiting this forum are considering buying a used one or or already bought a used one for $500-$700 (or less in some cases myself included) because it looks like we'll be able to get 24 fader DAW control out of it soon. 2000+ visitors to this forum daily that come through looking for answers and stuff are buying them 3rd-5th hand as a CHEAPER alternative to buying independent i/o interfaces to mix in the box, OR, as a cheap DAW Controller crossing their fingers that Probox or D8bridge comes out. And the appeal to buying one of these boards today is purely aesthetic...and oh yeah, the i/o count is pretty good.

What you got to realize is, the other options that are out there for someone starting out. What are the buying factors for this board. Yeah it looks cool and gives you that "real console" look in your studio...but, outside of that...a new guy these days can build a better system CHEAPER using i/o interfaces and midi controllers. And get at the very least equal performance.

For Example:

1 Motu 2408 mk2 w/ PCI-424 card ($150-$300)
1 Midi Controller (low end, novation remote SL $150 or high end Mackie MCU $500)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total $300-$800 and i have a fully expandable system that's on par with the D8b

I run two of these d8b's in my studio as a large console and I bought them largely for asethetics AND because they were cheaper than buying a C24 & Protools HD rig. Funny thing is, with all my midi gear hooked up and tracking a 8pc band (which i don't do)...i could still do everything with my Motu 2408 & 896 and my Akai MPD32 as a DAW controller if i wanted...lol

I am not bashing the D8b by any means, i'm just saying....I can be real about what they are worth on the open market. We buy them because we like knobs and faders and flashy things...im old school, I like analog feel. But these kids these days, mixing ITB with few knobs and couple faders is all you need. Buying a midsize console these days for home/personal use is well, lets face it...overkill!

And if you aren't a long time user of the D8b, then im sure Im telling you something you already know!
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum