Change font size   Print view

d8b 3.0 diskettes

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b 3.0 diskettes

Postby suaspont » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:02 am

My HDD died tonight. I bought the d8b used and it didn't come with the 3.0 diskettes. I don't have any way to make diskettes here. Can anybody sell me a set of 3.0 diskettes?

Many thanks
suaspont

Re: d8b 3.0 diskettes

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:20 pm

I can help, just pm me with your shipping info. Send $15 to my paypal. Trick is finding some blank diskettes. I can probably get them out in the mail Wednesday. Cool?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby suaspont » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Cool. Let me know if you find the diskettes and I'll send you the $15.
suaspont

Postby topdiggy2 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:22 am

Dude I completely forgot about you...did you get the disk or do you srill need them?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby suaspont » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:19 pm

I purchased a 3.5 external floppy drive and was able to make the disks myself. Thanks for the offer, but the need has vanished.

I also managed to replace the HDD with a SSD. A lot of hair pulling and chin rubbing, but I got it all working again last night.

In case someone else is puzzling over this here's a summary of my experience.

Since all that I can find suggests that the d8b can only address a 32 gb drive or smaller, I bought a 32 gb SSD. As it turns out, the actual size of the SSD was a bit larger than 32 gb, so the d8b BIOS wouldn't recognize it.

I then bought a 15 gb SSD and a 2.5 PATA to 3.5 PATA adapter. The d8B recognized it fine, and I was able to get the d8b software installed on it, but it wouldn't boot. I suspected that the MBR wasn't created correctly. Unfortunately I don't have access to a computer with anything older than Windows 7, which doesn't include the fdisk utility.

I discovered that the HDD in the mixer would work ok for a short while if it was cold. So, I let it cool overnight and was able to do a bit copy clone to the 15 gb SSD.

This last iteration worked just fine. The original HDD in the d8b was tiny by today's standards and was barely used, even with dozens of sessions and automations saved to it. The 15 gb SSD is way overkill, but it works a treat. Quiet and fast.

My d8b has been reborn.
suaspont

Postby garrett21allen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:50 pm

glade your up and running
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:42 am

suaspont wrote:I discovered that the HDD in the mixer would work ok for a short while if it was cold. So, I let it cool overnight and was able to do a bit copy clone to the 15 gb SSD.

This last iteration worked just fine. The original HDD in the d8b was tiny by today's standards and was barely used, even with dozens of sessions and automations saved to it. The 15 gb SSD is way overkill, but it works a treat. Quiet and fast.

My d8b has been reborn.

4GB Compact Flash Card, Brutha... FAST, no heat or moving parts and essentially not corruptible like a hard disk. Works like a f'n Champ... :ugeek:

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum