Change font size   Print view

POLL: *OKAY IF YOU DONT OWN ONE* How much you pay for..?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: POLL: *OKAY IF YOU DONT OWN ONE* How much you pay for..?

Postby garrett21allen » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi topdiggy2

since you said this was just a game if you don't mind me asking I would love to
know if you have ever got a new d8b and paid the full price. I think it was around ten thousand dollars
if so and just say everything was working and it had all the plus-ins and the WC card and it was working
with no problems and you would sell it today. what would your asking price be. now please don't base
your answer on a used board that you have brought in the past with problems.
thanks I was just wondering what your asking price would be for. if you had to sell a d8b that
you brought new that was in tip top shape today

thanks Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:35 pm

@ Joe Allen
Well Joe, i did not buy my d8b anywhere near new. Truth be told, these are my first full audio desks. Audio/midi interfaces and ITB mixing has always been my setup. At its peak my studio had 1 mcu & 3 extenders for DAW control. I bought those new old stock back in 2007 but didnt spend anywhere near what they were retail originally. I got them for $2500. Looked cool on my desk, but didnt improve work flow much. So I sold them piece by piece for $1600 total.

Im 34 yrs old, and I started in recording as a DJ when I was 16yrs. And I have bought and sold various gear over the years and when time comes to buy/sell gear I am different from you guys. I dont solely consider what I paid for the piece of gear, but rather I take a comprehensive look at what I made off it and how much I will make off the newer gear im going to buy next.

I say that to say this Joe, I wouldnt spend 10k on a piece of gear if I dont see the potential to make 10k off it producing music. Bc I always consider the depreciation factor and I know solely on resale of the gear alone, I wont recoup my investment.

So if I had bought a d8b new for $10k with all bells & whisles, and I made a living off the board producing music for the past 10+ years...then I wouldnt blink a eye selling it for $500. Bc if im selling it its not for the money, rather to make room for a newer board thats gonna make me more money! Otherwise why sell? I'll just continue getting use out of it.

I never hold gear bc im afraid to take a lost. Thats too much like living with regret. I bought it, I used it, I dont need it anymore, time to sell it!!! If I get what I paid for it cash, great. If I dont, I look at the difference and ask myself did I make that off producing music with it. And most of the time its no. But hey, I didnt spend "bills money" to buy it.

I wouldnt feel at a loss. Or that im being cheated bc I made a living off the board...it did what it was supposed to do. I would never sit on any gear bc of my pride.

Personally, I think its a bit selfish to say "...id rather let it rot in a corner than sell for that!" Especially if you dont need it. Why not be a blessing to another musician. Hell, im sure thats how most of us got our start..catching deals on used gear!

I like putting good vibes into the atmosphere. And I just think its bad juju to not "pay it forward".

I have watched guys take last year's model and try to sell it today priced at retail, thinking they will go buy this years model with that money. And just screwed the next man for not knowing better. Thats cold!

Now, Joe you have uncovered the true meaning of all this. I wanna know who you people really are.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 am

topdiggy2

I am just the same kind of guy that you are I think. I buy used gear too
but I just though I would ask you the same thing you was asking everyone else
only in a different way. I just wanted to know if you felt different if it was a new board
than if it was a used board. so you told me how you felt. I fill the same way you do
about gear but I do think a person that invest more money on a new peace of gear
thinks a little different than a person that get that same peace of gear used.
and I understand what your talking about trying to sell old gear almost for
the price of new gear so we are on the same page with that I agree with you 100% on that
so know what I am not understanding is what do you mean when you say I have uncovered the true
meaning of all of this and you want to know who we really are. just because I ask you the same thing
you was asking from everyone else.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:38 am

@ joe Allen

i could be wrong, but, i took your last question to me as you trying to get to know me better. And THAT is the true purpose of any forum when you get down to the core meaning...to get to know other people (users) around a common purpose (d8b in our case).

As of late I have been spending more times here and other forums and some of the attitudes i come across (present company excluded) are horrible...just straight d*ckheads. Will say and do about anything for a laugh, taunt, etc.

Anyway, so thats all I mean. You all are good guys. the whole supply demand thing brought a lively discussion and it got me to know you a little better! - thats all i meant.

By the way, where are you Joe?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:13 am

I am in Lumberton North Carolina.
and you are where

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:23 am

Okay, i come thru there all the time...right off 95. I am in atlanta, well Covington GA actually.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum