Change font size   Print view

POLL: *OKAY IF YOU DONT OWN ONE* How much you pay for..?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

POLL: *OKAY IF YOU DONT OWN ONE* How much you pay for..?

Postby topdiggy2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 pm

****** PLEASE PARTICIPATE EVEN IF YOU ARE NEW AND NEVER POSTED BEFORE ********

Hey Guys -

This is a poll for all of you in the market for a D8b, or thinking about buying one, or if you already own one and the opportunity presented itself to buy a 2nd or 3rd system....how much would you spend given these scenarios...if you would buy one at all? I am not talking about fantasy wish list here, but, if you found cash on the side of the street and decided to spend it on gear today...where would a D8b fit in your budget? Factor in your own dream/wish list, studio needs, desire to have a D8b and real world opportunity cost.

Reason for POLL:
I keep my eyes and ears open for sales of these boards for the past 6 months and having 2 in my possession now, I am now looking for a 3rd, just for parts. And I got into a discussion here on the board with someone about what these things are REALLY worth on the open market. I'm a student of supply and demand and my position is that regardless of how good/old/condition you may find one of these....the demand for them isnt that great and given the chance to buy one, I say people would rather buy a later piece of gear, and if buying a d8b at all...no one would pay above $700 cash for a working board. Do you agree?

So this poll is just for sh*ts & giggles...im curious, in the REAL WORLD buying situation...not the D8B elite & fan club appraisal opinion...what would you realistically pay for these boards if you have cash in hand today looking to buy in these scenarios:

USED Mackie D8b Specs & Assumptions:

Includes Mixer board & PSU/CPU w/ data cables & power cable.
OS 3.0 installed
apogee word clock installed
1 MFX & 1 UFX effects cards
3 Apogee DIO cards installed
No unlocked plugins
No shipping (guy selling it is in your driveway with trunk open)

SCENARIOS: for whatever reason you already made up your mind that you want to buy a d8b, the next day a CRAZY DEAL presented itself
1. Do not own a Mackie D8b, wanting to buy one as a upgrade to current setup. How much cash would you spend?
2. Already own a Mackie D8b, looking to buy a 2nd to put in service? How much cash would you spend?
3. Already own a D8b, looking to buy one for spare parts (non service)? How much....
4. Already own 2 working (in service) d8b, looking for a 3rd for spare parts? How much...
5. Already own 2 D8b's (in service), looking for a 3rd system to put in service? how much....
6. Already have a audio setup, only want a D8b to use as a 24 fader DAW controller (ie probox or D8bridge)? How much cash would you spend?

I wanna know at what price point would you buy this D8b TODAY given you had the extra cash in your pocket to spend. Or better put, at what price would it be a offer too good to refuse?

PLEASE PARTICIPATE....DONT JUST LOOK & LEAVE!!!! And none of that "well its subjective..." bs......

Thanks
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: POLL: *OKAY IF YOU DONT OWN ONE* How much you pay for..?

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:50 pm

I wouldn't sign that contract, mate. Too hard. Believe it or not, this board is still awesome. I'm lucky enough to have everything. All the plugs, Apogee WC, 5.1, spare faders and FX cards and I know it inside out. It still astounds me. There's an Allen and Heath job that's interesting but why bother when I have this.

Anyway, that's a bit of an answer.

Cheers,

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby garrett21allen » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm

I feel the same way as peter does about this d8b
its a great console. the most trouble I had was the ribbon cable that gives
people so much trouble would keep working loose no matter what I done
it would still come loose about every two weeks. so I ordered another ribbon cable
from mr Russ and I have not had any problem since then :Dd and peter is right
he does know this board inside out and he is a very very smart man with a grate singing
voice to go along with it.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:16 pm

@ peter & joe

You guys are missing the point of the whole exercise! The point of this debate is to determine today what the market price for D8b is! Not what your d8b is worth to you & how much you know about it.

Please play by the rules! The exercise is to determine how much money you would spend today to either buy an additional d8b or to buy your first d8b in today's market.

We are not here to discuss how great the d8b is, we all acknowledge that bc this is afterall a D8b fan club more or less. So its a good console, ok.

But both of you indicated you wouldnt buy another even if the price was too good to be true?

Let me put it in another way, I have a 1997 Honda Accord. It has two hundred and eighty thousand miles on it ! I have never had any major problems with it other than minor maintenance repairs. I know I could not sell that car today for $5,000 even though I believe it will run just as good as any other car priced at $5,000. I would be lucky to get a thousand dollars for that car today. Which is one of the reasons I still drive it. Now if I Drive down the street and I see another 1997 Honda Accord for sale for $500 today, then I might purchase it for a backup or another vehicle to have when mine dies....and it will die!!! But, if that same car was for sale for $1500 then I would not give it a second look. If I did not have a car right now and was in the market to buy another used car, then I would probably not buy a 1997 Honda Accord. I would try to find a newer model car for $1500 or save my money and buy something priced higher.

Undestand?

Now I am NOT taking anything away from the D8b. It is a great console. But with that being said would you buy another today? Even if it was fully load running OS 5.1? And at what price point?

Peter & Joe said they both would not buy the board above [for any price]. Well, that just goes to make my point. No market exist for these boards today thus you will not be able to sell one for $1500 even if it was fully loaded. Imho, I say you would be lucky to get $600 for it.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm

I kinda don't like your attitude, mate, so I couldn't be bothered other than to say I wouldn't buy one with DIO-8 cards.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby garrett21allen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 am

look I never said I would not buy another d8b board. what I was saying is that I agree with peter
and I still do agree with him. why would you even ask if your going to tell me and peter both that we would
be lucky to get six hundred dollars for our boards. if you already have in mind what a d8b is worth then why even ask for peoples opinion on this. you are already telling me and peter both that we would be lucky to get six hundred dollars for our d8b. so I would tell you that my board would sit in the corner for that price. you ask what one would pay for a board so what I think is if the board is fully loaded and working grate then I think
if a person sold it for five to seven hundred dollars then I fell like they would be robbing there self. now if the board did not have the clock card or no plug-ins then yes it might only be worth five to seven hundred dollars but that's up to the seller because everyone will have a different opinion on it and what they will pay. not arguing with you but if you fill like a working board is only worth six hundred dollars then why even bother to find out what a board is worth if its already in you head it can't be changed because like I said everyone will have a different opinion on this
also peter is someone that knows this board as good as anyone on this forum and I trust and believe in what he says about this board even in the selling point and peter is a good man.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:02 am

@ joe

I am not telling you or Peter what you should think...as if my opinion is the only ones that matter or like you should agree with me. If you dont fine...but all I ask is that at some point please address parameters of the conversation.

You guys are in left field trying to justify why YOUR d8b is worth $XYZ. I get it, you wouldnt accept $700 for your board. And you wouldnt buy the board listed for this exercise, fine...we cool! You can still play the game.

subsitute my example board for the specs of your choice. How much would you pay for it if it was a "steal"? Simply state what the "steal" price is for you...and neither of you have done that.

@ Peter

I havent insulted either of you and im sorry if you feel I have.

Its a simple Fun exercise meant to provoke fun debate.

Now, if we're still friends I would love hear what your "steal price" really is?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Topdiggy2

let me get in the right field so I can try to play this game. okay if I had to
buy a used board today I fill like if it was working and it had the apogee clock card and all the plug=ins
with 5.1 to me if I could get this board for around 1.500 dollars would be a steal to me. on the other hand
if I could buy a board and say it did not have the apogee clock card or if it did not have 5.1 or did not have the plug=ins then I feel like it would be a steal at around 5 to 7 hundred dollars. that's as good as I can play this game

I think its easy for someone that did not buy this d8b new and pay the full price for it to think a different way
about this board. if you did not buy this board new and you got a used one for a good price that's good to but for someone to buy this board for 6 or 7 hundred dollars and its not working like it should when they get it. I think its unfair to say that any d8b is not worth but 6 or 7 hundred dollars. you have to think about the people that paid up to 10.000 thousand dollars for there board brand new. just like your old Honda accord if you would buy it brand new at 13.000 dollars and just say another person got the same car two years later for 7.000 thousand dollars then you would fill different about the price to sell that car than the other person that got that same car for 7 thousand dollars. just say the other guy wanted to sell his car for say six hundred dollars. now you and I both know that you would think that man that sold the same car like yours for six hundred dollars was out of his mind.
so its kind of hard for a person who paid the full price for a d8b to give you the same price as someone who got there d8b for just say 1.700 dollars and it works just as good as the one that paid full price. so I guess that's why
some people are playing in the left field as you say. its hard to say one way or the other. if you paid the full price for a new d8b the I think you would fill the same way too/ that's just my opinion.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:48 pm

@ Joe

Thank You! So a fully loaded working board you would snatch it up today for $1500 with no hesitation! Got it!

Anyone else?
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:15 pm

the real steal price would be to get one free
and it has been done two times I think one person
got one free for training. and the other person
it was gave to him by a friend. so that would be the best steal you could
ever get don't you think so. I do

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum