Change font size   Print view

Will this be a money pit???

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Will this be a money pit???

Postby p2h » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 pm

[Youtube]http://youtu.be/2De4CUWzipk[Youtube]http://youtu.be/VKUM_dVdn1c[/Youtube][/Youtube]
Hey all, I'm learning alot but still have a ways to go if I'm going to keep this D8B!! Ok, I don't have deep pockets and
probably wouldn't have the d8b if I did (no offense to anyone) but, as the troubleshooting continues, seems like more
money traps pop up. Here's my scenario now, I think I'm on the right track--the d8b does boot to vers3-great, the faders will not respond to the GUI, they make that hard rattle (chan 1-8) on startup and freeze at the bottom of the console. If I have the original mackie sync card in--the line inputs have "something" going through them--I don't have anything hooked up yet : :shock: So, I need some more help figuring out how to make this "good board" cooperate, I see the potential for what I want to use it for (control surface basically). I did open the console and reseated the ribbon cards/didn't have any comp air, so I just reseated them. I did startup w/o the 1-8 ribbon hooked up and seems like the prob with the resistant was not on the other fader banks? Now, for the help part:

1. If I get the software from Munk, do the faders have to respond to the GUI or will the software take care of that? No question is off limits until you have the answer:
2. could this be the rail failure even though all of the symptoms are not there?
3. software re-install or total hard drive replacement might work?

Sorry for the long post but details provide the best answers sometimes to me.
p2h

Re: Will this be a money pit???

Postby p2h » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:40 pm

hope the video helps
p2h

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 am

Yo!

I'm going to take a stab at this...could be wrong, but, what i am thinking is happening is when your machine loads up its actually loading the sessions snapshot/or default session which very well could have some kinda automation for startup...thus the fader jitter/misalignment. Try switching from bank 1-24, to 25-48, or masters and see what happens then. If the board snaps back to normal, or the meter action stops...then is something leftover in the session data. In which case, if its a fresh install you may have bad/corrupt install files. If its not a fresh install, then start there...search for here for deleting session date, or installing OS, or formating hard drive.

If it does persist in the other layers, then you have a control board issue. And I wouldn't know where to begin, but, one of those cards under the hood is bad. Find out which one, and replace it. I bought a spare unit that was doing something similar when i got it. except i had jitter on the control board itself...vpot leds would blink/flash with a glitch when i turned it....the lcd display would blink with glitches....so i bought another board and swapped the brain card and audio cards, and keep it now in the garage for spares. And that's the extent of these things, they aren't like large format consoles with capacitors that go out and soldering work to do....no, with these its usually as simple as replacing the bad card...its modular like that. Trick is find out which one needs replacing! Some of the vets here can help you with that....try Bruce or Peter (anyhorizon)

So, anyway...check other layers. If you are still seeing "audio meters" and glitches....then you got something loose underneath. Could be something simple as one of those cards going bad. Honestly, if thats the case, just hang around ebay you'll find another console only deal for about $300-$400 bucks. As long as the console doesnt act funny, then you'll have what you need for a controller using ProBox.

Also, here is a thought...the board that i was talking about, the problem was in the make shift power supply (left off a wire connection). Once i reconnected it properly it stopped spazing.

But i dont think you will be able to run Munk's Probox, if it can not write to the EPROM on the brainboard. And the rest of the "guts" need to be in order to do that. Otherwise you will be experiencing the same thing....those glitches.

No expert, just hurt! - Kayne West

All else fails, just take your time and start going thru it pulling, cleaning, replacing. Yes, go get that can of air!!!
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 am

After a re-read....

1. No, the probox will operate as its own software....all you need to have is a functioning mixer that will send and receive data signals from the data port. But, as i menitioned earlier, if your proble lies under the hood then it doesnt matter what it is hooked up too, you will have problems. My quess, is that your problem is software related to the CPU. When you disconnected the faulty faders, the problem stoped. The rest of it is Software related to the mackie os. If you were to plug in the ProBox and it was able to communicate to your board, you would be fine.

2. I havent experienced that yet, so i wouldnt know what to look for...

3. Yes, dont be lazy, get in there and reistall the OS. If you need disk let me know bruh!

Later
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby p2h » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 am

Hey man, thnx a bunch! Got in late tonight and session work tomorrow and Thursday, so ill troubleshoot as soon as I get some time. Yea, I'm getting some canned air tomorrow...a couple things on your suggestions:

1. I do think something under the "hood" is acting shaky, jus don't know at this point but I think the first culprit is the original d8b mackie sync card--the stuck LEDs relax if it's not installed
2. will be trying to load the OS on the CF drive that jus cam in
p2h

Return to d8b Forum