Change font size   Print view

Channel 13 Fader is Possessed by a Demon!!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Channel 13 Fader is Possessed by a Demon!!!!

Postby Skeptrix Digital » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 am

Hi all. I'm looking for any insight into this problem. I think the problem lies with the fader bank itself, since all 8 faders seem to fail when channel 13 gets wacky. I should note, this doesn't happen all the time... I'd say about 50% of the time after boot up the demon enters the console. Also, when it happens, the panel gets VERY HOT over the middle fader bank, so I figure the console is either opening a direct pathway to the flames of hell, or the motors are stuck which is causing the overheating... what do you guys think???

Anybody experience anything like this before? Any thoughts?

thanks in advance for you help!!!

-andrew
Skeptrix Digital
Los Angeles, CA

---------------------------------------

Couldn't upload the video attachment here, so plz view my crazy fader at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pns5lP1 ... e=youtu.be.
Skeptrix Digital

Re: Channel 13 Fader is Possessed by a Demon!!!!

Postby Maloik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 am

so I figure the console is either opening a direct pathway to the flames of hell, or the motors are stuck

good one :-)

Hi

From my experience I'd say the problem is the chip on the fader board. In my case all of the faders were stuck in infinity position and the lower surface became really hot.
It's a AD8803 chip for fader boards 1-8 and 9-16 and a AD8804 for fader bank 17-24 +master. I ordered those from china and replaced them.Since then all of the faders work again

But at first I'd try to swap the fader boards 1-8 with 9-16 in the console.I mean physically move the fader board 1 to fader board 2 and vice versa to see if then fader 5 is showing the same behaviour.Just to check if the problem is the fader bank itself.

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:20 am

Hi Tom;

I am looking for these IC's as well as I have 3 desk (2 in use & 1 for parts), and need to replace a few of these to get the desk up to 100%.

Can you provide details as to whom you purchase from and if there is any other chips that will do the trick? I have found AD8803AR and AD4404A on eBay from Hong Kong. Any idea as to whether they will work?

Thanks

Bruce
(1 more Guitar than I have is 1 less than I need)
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 am

Hi Bruce!

I purchased the ICs from Tenco-tech in China. http://www.tenco-tech.com

As far as I remeber the AR or AN in the serial number ( AD8803AR) just refers to the building layout. with AR is the SO-16 model and AN is the PDIP-16 model.

I had sent an inquiry to the tenco guys for 10 pcs of 8803 and 10 pcs of 8804 and they offered 8803AR and 8804AR.
both about 5 USD a piece. and 20 USD shipping cost to Germany. the package was here within a week and all worked fine.

So I'd say the AD8803AR you found on ebay will work. I don't know about the 8804A you wrote.

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Skeptrix Digital » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks guys for the advice! I haven't yet tried swapping the first and second boards since I happened to have a brand new fader board sitting on my shelf. I replaced my old 2nd bank board with my new one and the problem actually worsened! Now instead of just Channel 13 having problems, I've got all 8 faders stuck at infinity, so I can only assume I've got the bad chip, right? Can you guys please provide me with any information on what I need to order? I looked at the techno-tech site you suggested and they seem to have several variants of that chip... do you know exactly which one I need? Also, how difficult was the chip-swap process? I can handle solder-sucking and replacing IC's, but I read one account of the chip being glued in place and when he pried it off he destroyed the trace.

Looking forward to hearing back! thanks in advance! -andrew
Skeptrix Digital

Postby Maloik » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 am

Hi andrew.

Like I mentioned earlier I wrote an email to them and asked for AD8803 and they offered me the AD8803AR.no further description.
I just checked the invoice and there is no specific part number. the "part number" field of the invoice is only "AD8803AR" and the "description" field says "AD 16-pin SOIC 09+" I hope this helps. If you're not sure just ask them.

About the desoldering: I desoldered the bad chip with a 75 W halogen lamp. I just placed it a few inches above the chip and after a short while it came off easy. I didn't notice any glue under the chip.
But I don't know if the chip on your fader board is glued down. Try to be careful. But with that "lamp-method" I think the glue won't be a problem.

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Skeptrix Digital » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 am

Is this chip physically located on the faderboard? If it is then I find it strange that I've got a bad chip on my original board and on the new (unused) one too. Is there anything located off the faderboards that could cause this kind of behavior? Literally every other function of the console works perfectly. I don't think it could be a CPU problem because I get this issue whether I run the desk with v5.1 or with D8Bridge. Thanks again! -a
Skeptrix Digital

Postby Maloik » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi,

the chip on the faderboard is very fragile when it comes to ESD-problems. So maybe that could have caused the problem. But you could still try to swap the faderboards like I mentioned in an above posting to see if the faderboard 1 follows the behaviour when plugged into the second slot.

cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:36 pm

look zuqiu123

you are a demon on this forum pretending you know things
about the d8b but you don't so could you please leave
and let the d8b user's have the forum back. you would
not like it if all the d8b owners went to your coin forum and tried to
sell some d8bs and hdrs would you, hell no you would not
so please get out of here if your not a real d8b or hdr owner. thank you

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member