Change font size   Print view

Lightpipe Question

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Lightpipe Question

Postby geddydawg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Im hoping Im placing this question in the correct area, if not, please point me in the correct direction.
Ive got a d8b that Ive been running for the last few months, and all has been running without issue.. But...

Today I noticed an issue when I went to record something.
On line line in, channel 12 of the d8b, I plugged in a mic. I routed this signal to track 1 of the HDR,.. I get a signal on the d8b on channel 12, I see a signal on the HDR on channel 1, I see a display on Channel 1 of the HDR's video screen.. all good so far.. so I record the track.

Then, when going back to listen to the same track on playback, I switch the d8b to playback channels, 25-48 and hit Play on the d8b. I see a signal on channel 1 of the HDR, showing what I recorded, and on the video monitor screen of the HDR, showing what I recorded, but on the d8b, no signal whatsoever. All the channels are set to be able to be played back correctly, as if I do the same to channels 2 thru 24 , all is fine. Its not that im just not hearing the track, playback channel 1 (channel 25) on the d8b is not showing signal... but channels 2-24 all show signal.

Thinking the lights on the channel may have gone bad, I plugged a mic into line input 1 (same slider as 25), and I get a mic signal on the d8b for channel 1 in line in mode (channels 1-24) but playback 25-48 shows no signal.

Now if this was done with an analog line, it would be simple, change the cable, but im sending and receiving via lightpipe.
If it was a litght pipe issue, Im asking, would it be all or nothing there? would I lose all 8 channels if the lightpipe cable was bad, or is it possible to have one channel send go bad on a light pipe, so replacing the lightpipe would resolve?

Any thoughts?
geddydawg

Re: Lightpipe Question

Postby Crash » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Have you tried reseating the light pipes on the offending I/O card. Sometimes I have oddities happen that I can fix with this method, while the console is powered up and the HDR is rolling.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 am

Hi,
First I would try saving a channel that works and opening it on the channel that is not playing back just to see if you have missed some minor setting. If that doesn't work, then try reloading the OS. Please take what i'm about to suggest with a grain of salt, as I have been wrong before. I have lightpipe, and when my HDR started doing this it was always a sign of impending hard drive failure. Backup your projects and replace your hard drive.

Have a Blessed Day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby geddydawg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Thank you Both very much for the ideas!. Tried resetting the lightpipes, but no avail... got a new lightpipe for the offending channel section, and all is golden again! WOO HOO!
What I find kinda ironic, to Premium Member "Old School", my name is also Mike W. haha and the studio here is called Old Skool Recording... It make me smile, thank you!
geddydawg

Return to d8b Forum