Change font size   Print view

High Pitch Whine

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

High Pitch Whine

Postby NigelC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Firstly I would like to thank all the experts on this forum for all their advice and help so far. I am nearly done setting up my studio after a complete overhaul.

I have a D8B running 5.1 with an Apogee Clock, 3 x OPT8, 1 x AIO8. Now I have everything running almost smoothly. I have detected a High Pitch Whine (a bit like the noise an electronic flash makes as it charges) coming from the monitors I have plugged in to the Main Outs.

Now I have turned everything else off apart from the D8B, its monitor and the speakers (including room lights) and turned all faders and volumes down. Yet its still there.

What I have noticed is if I change clock from Internal to External the pitch changes. I am getting sync with everything, however I could not get the D8B to lock on External sync (posted elsewhere about this).

Could this whine be related to the Apogee card and is it faulty? I will try to disconnect the BNC cable to see if it stops. Getting round the back is very tricky though! If I totally disconnect the Apogee card will the D8B still work?

One last question is there another way to sync clocks without using the Apogee card at all? I have used ADAT to clock to in the past with another board, but I cannot see how to set the D8B to receive clock via ADAT?
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: High Pitch Whine

Postby Petersueco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 pm

The d8b has to be the master if you want the ADAT sync route to work.

If your disconnect the Apogee Clock Card you have to put back the original Stock Clock Card. The d8b will not function without a clock card installed.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High Pitch Whine

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm

I had a similar situation but mine was a buzz, very distinct. It boiled down to me un-hooking the BNC from the clock card and plugging it in to one unit at a time to find the culprit. Short story long I had an HD24XR, motu 2408 and one was hooked into a power conditioner and one wasn't. Once I routed all the power for the units to the same AC source the buzz cleared up.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum