Change font size   Print view

Excellent cheap audio interface for D8B.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Excellent cheap audio interface for D8B.

Postby coolout » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:55 am

Hey guys,

I've had my d8b for a couple of years, but have been putting off an audio interface upgrade. I don't track live bands, mostly just 1 or 2 tracks of vocals/instruments at a time. Since I started buying outboard synths and drum machines again, I've been wanting an interface with ADAT to do 8-channels in one pass. It seemed odd that no one has put out a simple usb-to-ADAT interface without mic pres or extras to get in the way.

I glad I waited since there finally is one on the market:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-aud ... reamer-box

It's small (about the size of a pack of gum), dirt cheap ($115 + shipping) and it works great...full 24-bit 8-channel lightpipe in/out through bus-powered USB. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and the drivers seem rock-solid. The talk on Gearslutz is that you can aggregate multiple units and it even works with ipads. I'm sure someone could easily find a way to mount it internally inside the d8b. They also sell an even cheaper version without the case. I didn't see any mention of it on this forum so I thought I'd pass the word.

Also, I don't know if it's the cheap interfaces I've been using or the difference of bypassing an extra A-D conversion by using ADAT, but there was a noticeable jump in sound quality when I started using this interface. A clearer more defined sound and much lower noise floor (of course). I have the Apogee card, but the interface is just clocking off ADAT,
coolout

Re: Excellent cheap audio interface for D8B.

Postby Old School » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi,
Thank you for that excellent information.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum