Change font size   Print view

d8b Noise on Digital Input of recorder

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: d8b Noise on Digital Input of recorder

Postby Bill Roper » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:49 am

Did you swap out the lightpipe cable? If those get kinked, they can cause glitches.
Bill Roper

Postby geddydawg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Hello Hello Again!!!
Ok Crash, I did the loop around, with one lightpipe, for each set of cards.. and on all 3 attempts (inputting from channel 13, as an idea), i didnt see to get any noise from anywhere.. and I tried this same concept with all 6 of the lightpipe cables.

But, when I plug the same cable intot he HDR, on the first set of inputs, channel 1-8, I get the noise... again.. the odd, very odd thing.. is when I take the same HDR to a friends homestead, with a d8b as well, using his lightpipe cables, just switching out HDR's .. no noise at all.

I kinda dont get it.
geddydawg

Postby geddydawg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:56 pm

You all have been Fantastic with help here, Thank you so very much for the ideas!!!!

Odd, very odd situation last experiment I tried. All the tests Ive been doing, involved setting all 24 tracks to record enable.
When doing so, the first set of 8 go crazy with digital noise.

This time, when setting tracks to record enable... I did them one at a time, waited 15 seconds in between, watching careful for odd things. I noticed when I tried to, set to record, more then 15 channels at once, this odd issue of Digital noise would happen again. If I set for 15 or less at one time... all seems to work correctly, without issue at all.

New Info, new Fun... as long as I stay below 15 tracks at once, life is good... and tips on this mess??? haha
I can at least record again, rhythm tracks with 15 at once, and then no issues with overdubs...
But, for when I need to do need to record more then 15 at once again, and it does happen... any thoughts here?
geddydawg

Postby Crash » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:00 pm

How much noise are we talking here? Is it 15 channels no matter which 15 or just 1-15? If it is slght noise, have you checked the channel filters to see if they are on or off? Your loop back test should rule this out but my head hurts thinking this one out....
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby geddydawg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:21 pm

Im sorry for your headache.. I do appreciate your input here!!!! Very much so!

Thats the thing, haha no matter which 15... Ive always so far done something with the first 8 involved.. This last time, 4 of the first 8, and random other up to 15... after 15... it starts.. the digital noise peaks the channel, fades out after 2 seconds, and repeats... until I get back to 15 or below again. .. Yes, doing the loop back, had shown no issues, on any of the lightpipes or cards... fantastic sound there.
geddydawg

Postby Crash » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:38 pm

All part of the same file? No matter which session you open?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby geddydawg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Any session that Ive opened, yeah... and its not on the playback, its when recording, the record enables of the channels, up to 15, any channel. I could have recorded 0 tracks, and just getting prepared... if I record 15 tracks at once, Im good.. 16 or more, noise galore... if I record 14 tracks (as an example) and then play those back into the headphones (and speakers), I can record up to an additional 15 at once.. if I try 16.. noise galore... Its just bizarre.
geddydawg

Postby Crash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:51 pm

geddydawg wrote:.. the digital noise peaks the channel, fades out after 2 seconds, and repeats... until I get back to 15 or below again.

Sorry to keep hitting you with questions, just hoping something will set off the magical light bulb with one of us. Does the noise move in tandem across the channels or randomly spike about? Can you shoot any video of this oddity?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby geddydawg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 pm

No problem at all... Please ask away.. Im hoping something I say will add light to a darkened lightbulb!

Its a pretty steady spike on the 1st channel, depending on which OPT8 card its attached to, and the other 7 channels is more a random thing. I dont have any video yet, but I can certainly try to take some tonite or tomorrow if you think that would help?
geddydawg

Postby topdiggy2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:11 am

Maybe im stating the obvious andi i may have overlooked it...but did you simply remove all of the cards from the HDR and then ad them back one by one to see if the issue persist. You may have a faulty i/o card that is causing the conflick. I had the same issue, well, actually i had a bad opt-8 card that was killing any lightpipe from coming in. When i removed the bad card all of the other cards worked fine!

May have something to do with the bad card in the chain messing with the aday sync which is causing the noise or loss of clock on the adat...maybe??? just my guess..
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum