Change font size   Print view

Greg's new venture OT

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Greg's new venture OT

Postby Crash » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:13 pm

http://www.mackiescientific.com/nutratrack-pro/

I am sort of shocked to see this. Looks like an interesting product but so far from where he started I suppose. Look at the team as well, all the usual suspects. Just thought some of you old Mackie cats would be interested.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Greg's new venture OT

Postby FrankH » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Ha! He finally got it done and on the market.

Do you know how long he has been working on this thing? Roughly 10 years to my recollection. I remember fiddling with a proto in 2004 or 5. He, Peter Watts and a bunch of other former Mackoids are also responsible for QSC's TouchMix line.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:09 am

Hopefully it'll do better than that guitar amp he messed with. I believe one of the usual suspects said he had been working with this project for the last 6.5 years. I never would have guessed that Greg and company would have gone down this road.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Hopefully it'll do better than that guitar amp he messed with.

HA!....the G12.
As I remember it, the thing was at a production-ready proto stage when, at the last minute, Greg decided he wanted the carrying handle moved to a different location that did not have proper supporting structure to lift the thing.

So they had to scrap the entire design to make it work. This entailed redesigning just about everything in the unit to accommodate where the handle was repositioned to. They had to start from scratch….which cost a small fortune in R&D and set back its release date by months…..which turned out to be a disaster in that by that time, the company was looking for all sorts of ways to cut costs.

When the dust settled, they had about 20 or 30 pre-production units which were put on sale with no advertising whatsoever. Within 2 months after the product was "released"...it was promptly killed.

I had an opportunity to play this thing in a proto stage, up in Vancouver (where the software was being developed) and it sounded fabulous. Had they stayed with this, it might have been a reasonable seller. But as usual, Jamie Engen had absolutely no clue as to the value of this product and that was that. Another revolutionary Mackie product that you'll never get to see, thanks to that moron Engen.

If you'd like to see what the software features were going to look like, Click Here
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:57 am

I remember that thing dying on the vine, never knew why. Interesting story for sure. I remember my buddy Troy Monteforte (still working at the evil empire fyi) trying one out before it's demise. I didn't know about the handle issue, unbelievable.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum