Change font size   Print view

24 bit mix back to daw?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

24 bit mix back to daw?

Postby Creative69 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:08 am

Is at all possisible to print a 24 bit stereo mix back to daw? If so how are you guys doing it?
I'm Using 8 adat channels from the computer but I haven't found a way to send the stereo mix back through two of the channels, I could do this on my yamaha dm1000. As the digital IO card puts out 16 bits I'm stumped.
Creative69

Re: 24 bit mix back to daw?

Postby Crash » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Creative69 wrote:As the digital IO card puts out 16 bits I'm stumped.

Which I/O card are you talking about? Are you talking about the computer I/O? The console I/O is 24 bit.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Creative69 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 am

Crash wrote:
Creative69 wrote:As the digital IO card puts out 16 bits I'm stumped.

Which I/O card are you talking about? Are you talking about the computer I/O? The console I/O is 24 bit.

Hi crash

Was referring to the spdif out. But it seems reading the manual can actually confuse things. It appears to be 20 bit on input and 24 bit on output if I'm understanding it correctly. I originally thought spdif was truncated / dithered to suit dat machines of the day.
I record the main mix back to the daw as a 24 bit file for master.
Creative69

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

That is correct, you should be able to get 24 bit out to your DAW.

From the database:

The factory AES and SPDIF digital inputs on all d8bs are limited to twenty bits. The remaining bits of a 24 bit signal will be truncated.

Further, all incoming audio will be subject to sample rate conversion to the current d8b setting, even if it is consistent.

The reasoning for this was to provide a convenient connection for 16 bit DAT recorders and CD players widely in use at the time of the d8b’s design.

These inputs cannot be directly routed to tape outputs or to busses, auxes or DSP. The workaround is to pre-DSP insert the selected digital input to a pair (normally linked) of channels 1-48, allowing assignment to tape outs, busses, auxes, and application of plugins, channel EQ and dynamics.

The only way to input a 24 bit digital signal to the d8b is through one of the digital cards (OPT, DIO, PDI) in one of the I/O slots.

The stock AES and SPDIF digital outputs are 24 bits.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum