Change font size   Print view

Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 am

Carlo wrote:I tried the system proposed by "The Boss" but im hearing crackles like a digital distortion on the channels. Is this loss of sync? Although it is not heard during playback of the mix, it is noticable when soloing that particular track coming from d8b #2 to the return channels of D8B #1

No wonder. Check the database for correct wordclock inter-connection.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby the boss » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Connect one d8b for every motu.
Set the motu card in your motu software to internal and both d8b's in this case to external. Take sync signal from motu 1 to d8b1 and motu 2 to d8b 2.
Two separate sync cables 75 ohm

This works perfect in my case
the boss

Postby the boss » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Set your d8b's to "sync saple rates" in options :)
the boss

Postby the boss » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Sorry the last post was wrong!
In this case "do not" set your d8b's to sync sample rates in options. They get it from your daw
the boss

Postby Carlo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Wonder of wonders....!!!!

it works BOSS.....nice one. Thanks for the great tip. no pops and clicks. It was worth trying before spending money on a clock. No difference in the sound between two mixers. :D

Nice one...

Regards

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:19 pm

the boss wrote:Set your d8b's to "sync saple rates" in options :)

You mean in the SETUP/ NETWORK of the d8b?
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:12 am

Nice... :)
Yes... You can use it if you are in a network and has connected the alt I/o cards for mix to one console.

Motu interfaces has a very stabile clock. The problem is you have to do it right.
Some just don't seem to get it, the digital way.
They buy expensive things and still don't get how it works. :)
the boss

Postby Carlo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:32 am

Yes Boss,

I really agree with you. However for me it is still a mystery when people say that with an external clock generator the sound gets better...i cant really say since i've never had the opportunity to use a clock with my system. BUT, your method works and the quality of sound that i get with one d8b is exactly reproduced on my second d8b so...

:?: :?: :? Is it an impression that people are getting regarding quality of sound when using an external Word clock? i don't know!! still a mystery....but to solve this mystery i have to buy a clock generator which is ridiculous to spent loads of money before i hear the difference myself on some one's system.

Furthermore, ive seen posts on this forum that with an APOGEE clock card the sound improves too when compared to the stock d8b clock card......to tell you the truth i've heard no differences and i get the same quality of sound ;) sometimes its unbelievable how people reason.

So thanks Boss :ugeek:

Thanks for the input guys
Carlo
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Way back in June 2010 Hugh Robjohns wrote a review article on 'Sound on Sound' Magazine re: clocks etc:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/a ... clocks.htm

a paragraph from his article states:

Overall, it should be clear from these tests that employing an external master clock cannot and will not improve the sound quality of a digital audio system. It might change it, and subjectively that change might be preferred, but it won't change things for the better in any technical sense. A‑D conversion performance will not improve: the best that can be hoped for is that the A‑D conversion won't become significantly degraded. In most cases, the technical performance will actually become worse, albeit only marginally so.

regards

Carlo
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:57 pm

As long as your clock device do it in sync regardless what you use it don't improve the sound. It just make sure that all things happens at the same time or else you get "jitter". However if you have a big studio with lots of equipment that needs all sorts of sync signals you'll need a device that can generate that. Like myself. 2 d8b's , 2 sdr 24/96 protools and a tascam ms 16. Motu mtp av works for me generates and recives : mtc , worldclock, sempte, LTC, digi super clock, adat, and more. It also has a 9 midi I/o interface integrated with a nice software to your computer. All this for aprox 250$ :)
the boss

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum