Change font size   Print view

For those who still use floppies

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: For those who still use floppies

Postby arjepsen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:04 am

IIRC I did try to install 5.1, and it worked fine.
It was just a short test though, as I don't have the registration for 5.1 :'-(
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Boughman wrote:Hi Anders,

I purchased a Gotek floppy drive emulator but am having trouble getting the D8B to read the files from the USB stick. I did download the ipcas software you used and was able to format the USB into small partitions but I copy disk 1 of the 5.1 install to the USB and boot, the D8B says its a non-system disk. What OS (Windows 7, etc) did you use to run the ipcas software? When I try to image a partition of the USB from the 5.1 disk I get an error that the disk image is the wrong format. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey again.
Today I'm gonna try the new 5.1 hack, so I revisited this thread and saw that I never thoroughly answered your questions.
Here's what I'm doing today:
1) Install the ipcas software (IPCAS usb-floppy-emulator-tool-v1.40i)
2) Use it to format the usb stick with 100 partitions the size of 1.44
3) Download the 5.1 software, and extract the 3 exe files. We can't use the exe files originally, but have to use other software to turn them into images that we can write on the usb floppy partitions. I downloaded winimage for this.
4) Start winimage, open each of the 5.1 exe files, and go to Files -> save as. Under "filetype" choose "image file (*.ima)" (NOT compressed image), and name the image how you want - f.ex. image1.ima. Do the same for the other images.
(if a format is wanted, there's a file called tools.ini that has to be edited on the first image. look here (point #6):
http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/Charl ... ndices.pdf)
5) Use the IPCAS batch manage tool to write these images to the first three partitions. (right-click the partition (000, 001 or so on) and choose "write image file", and *.* under filetype..., then choose the images made with winimage)
6) Close the program and eject the usb key the right way.
7) install. (when the console asks for disk two, choose the second partition on the floppy emulator, and so on).

Install the plugins the same way.

Hope it is clear enough. This worked for me.
Last edited by arjepsen on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:38 am

Hi All,
When I try to download the ipcas software, my anti-virus says that this file behaves in a suspicious manner and is recognized as Dangerous. Is there any other software available for this?

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:14 am

Old School wrote:When I try to download the ipcas software, my anti-virus says that this file behaves in a suspicious manner and is recognized as Dangerous. Is there any other software available for this?

Which version are you looking to work with?

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:36 am

Hi Dok,
I found some software that seems to be virus free at http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... pyemulator
I'm gonna try it out after my sessions this weekend. If you know of any other software for formatting the USB sticks and exporting the raw floppy images to the USB stick, I would be interested.

Thanks & have a blessed evening in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:03 am

Old School wrote:I found some software that seems to be virus free at http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... pyemulator
I'm gonna try it out after my sessions this weekend. If you know of any other software for formatting the USB sticks and exporting the raw floppy images to the USB stick, I would be interested.

Kewlio, Mike...

I was actually just gonna download whatever version of the Ipcas software you wanted, and attach it to a PM for ya. My Linux box doesn't really have many issues with downloads and anti-virus stuff. Just let me know if you'd still like to utilize that as an option... ;)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 am

Here's a link to the IPCAS install file I used:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0zuqgtapyubx ... i.exe?dl=0

I just uploaded it to an online virus scanner for checkup, and it didn't find anything, so it should be safe.

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum