Change font size   Print view

HELP! D8B won't boot!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

HELP! D8B won't boot!

Postby bondomatic » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Long time user here, but I'm stumped on this... Board was working fine, nothing changed, nothing happened... All of a sudden it won't boot.

At first it would boot pretty far and then freeze, now it's just in a boot / reboot cycle.

When it started, the computer would boot all the way to the software. On the board's screen, I would see it detect all cards etc, would display the usual 'One Moment Please', where it froze. Usually (for me), that 'One Moment Please' would only appear for a flash, and then it would start 'Downloading MFX Package'... but it stopped getting there, and just froze on 'One Moment Please'. Board would be frozen, comp as well.

Now, it's just stuck in a boot cycle, and half of the time the monitor does not kick on when the comp fires up... Which is making me think video card could be faulty?

I tried removing all of the FX and I/O cards from the back of the board, no change...
Tried removing and re-seating everything in the comp, no change...

Help? Opinions? Tests? Anything?

Thanks everyone!
bondomatic

Re: HELP! D8B won't boot!

Postby bondomatic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:09 am

And it just booted... I celebrated, then shut it down and tried again... Back to not booting.
Now it's stopping on a screen on the comp that lists Mackie OS Loader 3.0 etc, on the right side of the screen there is red text displaying 'Unhandled fixup type 0005'.

Failing video card?
bondomatic

Postby Old School » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:21 am

Hi,
It could be a corrupt session file. If it's trying to download MFX package, you have it set to "load last session at startup". If you get it to boot again, change that setting to load the startup file instead, then delete the existing startup file so that the D8B will be forced to create a new one & reboot. If this doesn't work, I would remove the hard drive & hook it up to your computer via usb adapter, then drop & drag your session files to your computer for backup. Return your HD to the D8B & then I would format & reload the operating system. This is all suggestion, so take it with a grain of salt, but corrupt session files have caused me a lot of problems--- all different. Good Luck.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:39 am

Almost forgot, make SURE you have 5.1 authorization code if you are running 5.1, if you don't you will only be able to run in demo mode & Mackie can no longer provide you with a code that works.

Have a blessed day in Christ,\
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Check bios settings
the boss

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Sometimes when RAM goes wonky, it can cause odd behavior with the d8b. Maybe worth investigating.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bondomatic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:54 am

Thanks everyone!

Turned out to be bad RAM... Phew!
bondomatic

Postby Old School » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:43 am

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out & thanks to Crash for a new entry in my list of things to check when the D8B goes south.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby salvaes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:28 pm

The steps I follow, are as follows
since it is possible to have data from corrupted session, but before we get to that point I would extract and all cards from the table, the ram would clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, once made would put the ram and video card only and perform a test to see if everything is in order.
Macpro 12cores ,logic Pro ,RME Octamic2 X4 ,forusrite ISA , apogee DA16X ,
Antelope orion studio - apogee psx100 - TLA CLASSIC VALVE SERIES - SPL GOLDMIKE - Focal twin 6be, Adam A7x ,Mackie d8b
salvaes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum