Change font size   Print view

Testing TDIF Cards

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Testing TDIF Cards

Postby Brad Martens » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 am

Is there a way to check and see if a TDIF card is bad. I have posted different issues with my d8b and all the issues keep coming back as clocking issues. I am currently getting clicks and pops when I use the cards. I am inputting directly from a digital preamp, Panasonic wz2496, into my hdr via adat cable and then monitoring through my d8b via tdif cable. Perhaps a problem persists in using the 2 different types at the same time. The tracks will sometimes record the pops and other times not even though it still pops during playback. I have checked cabling and swapped cards. I can not get either one of my d8bs to send info to the hdrs with tdif cards either. Frustration is starting to get to me. I have been dealing with these clock issues for at least 6 months and still do not have a cure. I started by purchasing a master clock, Drawmer, instead of using either the d8b or the hdr as master, multiple digital gear pieces. Worked for a while, then started issues again, like a phantom. Got a 2nd d8b, worked for a while, then issues.
I also have AIO cards which I have switched to and do not have any issues with. Also, I am wondering why or what I need to do in order to get my preamps, Avalon 737 and Focusrite 428 to send into my hdr directly though the AIO cards . I am not sure why this does not work. I also use a focusrite 828 and can send directly into the AIO card via db25.
Thanks for you time and thoughts.
Brad Martens

Re: Testing TDIF Cards

Postby Crash » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:05 pm

I assume you are using DIO.8 cards. I run all of my external preamps into an Apogee AD8000 (also the clock master) for conversion and then go straight into the HDR via the TDIF section of the DIO.8 card. I then come out of the same card via ADAT optical to hit the d8b to monitor. It works for me. Have you ruled out the TDIF cable? There are of cables that have that pin count, such as the db25 analog, that aren't TDIF cables. I would be frustrated as well with it working for a bit and then not.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum