Change font size   Print view

D8B with analog reel to reel

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B with analog reel to reel

Postby screamingotter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 pm

I am contemplating purchase of D8B from widow of owner. It is in very good shape and has all the original boxes. Good price but wondering if it is a headache for my purposes.

I have two multi-track tape machines and want to use the board to record and playback. I know it is designed for digital but does have analog outs. Former recording engineering from mid-70s to mid-80s and want to record for fun.

Is anyone using the system with analog tape? Do you recommend it as alternative?

Thanks for your time and input.

Kindest regards,

Rob
screamingotter

Re: D8B with analog reel to reel

Postby Crash » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Welcome Rob, I don't know anyone that is using the console with an analog tape machine. If I were still using tape, I personally wouldn't use a digital board unless it was for the automation and if I was going that route for automation, I wouldn't use an analog tape machine. I guess if you want to go to the trouble of striping tape with code to get things to lock...maybe. I started out recording to thin strips of rusty metal and now use a d8b with an HDR and it is a pretty slick, though dated, setup. I still use loads of whiz bang outboard as well tube comps etc, so it I still feel like I am in a studio as opposed to sitting in front of a computer mousing it with all plug ins.

There is my 2 cents worth....
Last edited by Crash on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: D8B with analog reel to reel

Postby Phil.c » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi Rob,

I also did a lot if recording engineering in the 70/80's but I've had dual d8b's/HDR's for I guess over 16 years and i'm with Crash, they might be outdated but they supply the goods, linking up a d8b and analogue tape is possible but not the best way to go IMO :)

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum