Change font size   Print view

I/O Cards not found on bootup

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: I/O Cards not found on bootup

Postby Crash » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Since I experienced this years ago, I have discovered a new way around this issue that works for me. It is still an issue on occasion but when it does happen, I leave the console on for a bit, say 15 minutes so that it starts to warm up and then reboot. It finds the missing DIO.8 after that.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:52 am

Thanks very much for your responses, Bruce and Crash!

That's an excellent suggestion, Crash! Makes a lot of sense to me.
It's also entirely possible, that warming up the desk for a while got the DIO.8 card recognized, and not messing with the word clock setup, since I had the desk running for about an hour or so, before restarting, to see if the word clock input was recognized now (...and that's where the DIO.8 in the Tape 1-8 slot came back as well).

I left it running all evening yesterday, and booted for the first time today. It's still recognized. Now I have word clock issues again, and had to start up 4 times already, troubleshooting it, but the DIO.8 that caused problems before was now found every time. Could also be, because it's a pretty warm day here in LA today (95 Fahrenheit).
I'll definitely keep the "warm up" tip in mind, if one of the cards isn't found again in the future. THANK YOU!!!

Now on to troubleshooting the word clock issue again. Always something else with this thing. I hope I'll get it stable some day soon.

Thanks again! :)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:32 am

Quick follow-up:

When following the instructions in the Top10Issues/WordClockProblems, and shutting down while "external" is still the sync setting, then booting up with the word clock IN cable DISconnected... waiting for the questionmark ( ? ) in the d8b display, indicating that there's a word clock sync problem, and then connecting the word clock cable to the Word Clock IN on the Apogee Sync card, it immediately locked to the external clock every time I tried (about 4 times so far).

It's a bit of a hassle to do this every time, but at least I don't get stuck LED meters from boot-up attempts where the clock was not immediately detected. In such cases, I always had several channel meters peaking and some showing a random level, that I couldn't figure out how to reset without a restart... and when doing it the same way, you're back to the same problem.

So, yeah... disconnect word clock cable when shutting down, and only connecting after everything else has booted up, has allowed the d8b to reliably connect to external clock (with no hanging meters). Finicky little thing...

Anyway, I'm good at this moment... waiting to see what happens next...
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum