Change font size   Print view

D8B Freezing?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B Freezing?

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:40 am

you have a grounding issue. Something as simple as a static shock is knocking out the ADAT sync, which is causing it to freeze the D8b wont give you any indication like in Pro Tools for example when sync is lost...but, i have seen this issue in another studio i was called into. They had similar issues with the ensemble loosing sync and audio loss. Try switiching to tdif cables instead of adat cables if you havent already.

I really dont think it has anything to do with the physical connections you mentioned (midi, ehternet, spdif) but if you have POE eithernet, or some kinda grounding issue in your circuit then that would definately cause the sync issues. By disconnecting those physical connections, you only removed the problem from the circuit. plugging those connections back in may cause the loss of sync again...I would nect investigage your word clock...digital sync signal chain and settings.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:27 pm

This thread is full of mis-information.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:26 pm

@ PETER

..LIKE WHICH PART???
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 pm

For a start, the first reply to the initial question.

Further, ADAT lightpipe can't possibly be subject to grounding problems since it's optical. Recommending TDIF instead of ADAT could possibly introduce grounding anomalies.

Lastly, refer him to the database which has been carefully constructed to help with such things.

This and other pages.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby topdiggy2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:02 pm

@ Peter

I agree with you on that, however, lightpipe is subject to static shock if its introduced to any system. If you are sync via adat then such jitter or loss of sync will cause your board to lock up or freeze. I had a studio i was working in Nashiville would do just that. In the winter they would run the heat, combined with this thick*ss carpet they had in the control room, you would generate a static if you moved more than 2 feet. And every time you discharge yourself on the console or anything wired to the console, the adat connected Apogoee Ensemble would loose sync and drop audio.

Add that to what i know about the D8b adat sync, (when clocked internal not with a Apogee word clock card) if you loose sync, then your d8b will freeze or lock up. So my last recommendation to him was to check his sync signal chain.

But nonetheless...i recommended to him to check the wire harness and PSU supply lines also. i too believe the fix is in the support section...either that power supply to the dsp board or a short in wire harness. Or the fuses in the power supply/cpu or tripping.
topdiggy2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bondomatic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Well, it turns out it was the Ethernet connection all along... with it disconnected everything functions great, no freezing. Relief!

Thanks for everyone's input!
bondomatic

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:37 am

I guess the question still remains........

Why did having the d8b connected by Ethernet cause the d8b to freeze?

Something in the set-up?

Answer will come from greater minds.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:56 am

Hi bruce, was this ever worked out ?
i have just got another HDR and when both HDR's are connected via Ethernet with the crossover cable the D8B will at various times freeze, lock up, some times as soon as when the main page loads up
when the ethernet cable is not connected its fine.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby bondomatic » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:18 pm

What fixed that for me was a different Ethernet cable. I think the one I was using originally was not a crossover.
bondomatic

Postby funk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:47 pm

Pete crash and phil has this ever happend to you when you have connected two HDRs ?
Bondomatic...mine is deffo a crossover cable, but will try another one incase, cheers
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum