Change font size   Print view

D8B midi card question V3 software

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B midi card question V3 software

Postby vortexian » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi all,

I just joined the group, looks like a good place for answers,

I just bought a D8B which didn't come supplied with a midi card or network card, the console is running V3, from what I've read I cant run the Serial 9 card under V3 but can underV5.1, is this correct?, I ask because I can easily get a Serial 9 card but the original Winman ISA card is a bit less available in Europe from what I can see, any advice or pointers would be great,

many thanks in advance,

cheers Tony
vortexian

Re: D8B midi card question V3 software

Postby vortexian » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm

by the way I'm running the later 300mhz MB :D
vortexian

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:44 am

Hey Tony;

Welcome!

Not sure where you read about the Midi Card not working under V3. Many of us are doing just that!

You have to have the correct Serial Card and there are some changes you need to make to the BIOS but it works just fine. There are many Posts in here regarding that and there is an entire "Maintenance" section at the top of the Home page that is also helpful.

Regards version 5.1, unless you have the unlock codes you will not get 5.1 to work. The Computer that creates the unlock codes decided to do a "work to rule" thing, died and will never be brought back to life. It is a dead issue!

Version 3.0 is as good as it gets.

The network card is also a good thing to have for file transfers and getting files onto and off of your d8b.

Both of these cards are available on ebay for starters.

If you have effects cards installed, adding additional RAM up to 256 MB's is a good thing. If you have all 4 slots filled it is a really good thing. Again available on ebay.

Hope that helps and welcome to this forum.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:16 pm

This particular setting is required in the BIOS for the MIDI card to work correctly in a 300MHz machine:

IRQ-10 Assigned to : Legacy ISA

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby salvaes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 pm

anyhorizon wrote:This particular setting is required in the BIOS for the MIDI card to work correctly in a 300MHz machine:

IRQ-10 Assigned to : Legacy ISA

Peter

That is, as Peter says
Macpro 12cores ,logic Pro ,RME Octamic2 X4 ,forusrite ISA , apogee DA16X ,
Antelope orion studio - apogee psx100 - TLA CLASSIC VALVE SERIES - SPL GOLDMIKE - Focal twin 6be, Adam A7x ,Mackie d8b
salvaes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vortexian » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi all,

many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

just to clarify, I have bought a Mackie Serial 9 card from Thomann, it has 2 x 9 pin d-sub connectors, one is midi, the other is 9 pin Sony machine control protocol, the original D8B midi card is a Midiman Winman 1X1.
I've seen references suggesting ''5.1 D8B OS now supports Serial 9 card'' which obviously suggests that any OS before it (V3) didn't.

I just wanted to be 100% sure before I fitted this card it would work without damaging the MB. As far as I know the Serial 9 card was released in 2002, way after the release of V3

cheers Tony
vortexian

Return to d8b Forum