Change font size   Print view

D8b flickers on and off

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8b flickers on and off

Postby frn0003 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:40 pm

Im new here and to the D8b mixer, I just bought one and when it powers on it flickers on and of, any suggestions? Also when I get this working ( and I will) I want to use it with protools 9, How would I connect this to my m-audio fast track ultra 8r? if possible. any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks
frn0003

Re: D8b flickers on and off

Postby Crash » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Does the following describe your issues?

The Dreaded Rail Cap Failure
This problem occurs on older d8bs and is accompanied by the following symptoms:
A loud thump from every output. Thump Thump Thump (somewhere around 80 BPM)
Lights and meters flashing on and off in double time to the thump
The lights on the pan pots twirl around
No control over the console from the GUI
GUI shows no signs of trouble
Sometimes audio will pass and sometimes not
Sometimes a restart will help but then it comes back
Eventually nothing will stop it
Note: Some d8bs will have similar symptoms if there is an interruption to clock or if an incoming clock is present when the d8b is booted up or if any digital device connected to the digital cards is on when the d8b is booted up. For instance, some boards will act up every time a MOTU 2408 is connected to the DIO8 card when booting. In these cases the thump does not always occur (though sometimes it does), and the pan pot lights don't twirl around, but there will be flashing lights and meters, and the monitor may (but not always) show "DSP Error, Last State Unknown" or similar.
If you have these symptoms and are not an expert audio maintenance technician, you need the help of an authorized Mackie Service Center.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby frn0003 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 am

the lights are in las vagas mode but the pan pots are not spinning. I disconnect the power cable on the back of the board then I restart and it works fine. It comes and goes, I have no digital connected. Im using the probox and it seems for the most part it works. what needs to be replaced to make sure this doesn't happen again? I bought the board from guitar center about a month ago with the 2 year service plan but I would like to see if there is anything I can do before taking it in, this thing weighs a ton.

Thanks
frn0003

Postby frn0003 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:45 am

I forgot to mention, when this las vagas happens I don't even notice when Im recording there is no thumping until I shut down the board then restart, sometimes it just restarts and all is fine then sometimes I have to disconnect the cable on the back of the board then it works great again.
frn0003

Postby lyn69 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:18 am

Hope you sorted the problem. I know it's a bit late to reply, but I had this problem and it was the big power supply connecter lead under slight strain causing the console to flicker or pulse. I just toggled it a bit and took the strain off the lead and have had no problems since. Great desk, just a bit temprimental at times due to little things.
lyn69

Postby Klinux » Wed May 25, 2016 5:53 pm

I've had the same issue, what I've narrowed it down to is the big power cable pulling on the connector at the back. I have found the issue doesn't occur so much if the multicore power cable is supported. I have also cleaned the contacts on the cable with electrical contact cleaner which seems to resolve the issue for a while. That said in the last few days it has returned but I think that was because I pulled the desk out to connect something in the back and it was a while since I sprayed contact cleaner on the pins.

I've yet to fully locate the issue but I have had the desk apart and checked all the ribbon cables, cleaned and secured them with some tape which made no difference, I also checked visually for any dry joints on the PCB that the multi core power cable connects to no obvious issue but its not always easy to see a very fine fracture in the solder. I'm gonna take the cable out and give all the connectors a good clean and make sure that the pins are making good contact. It could be that over time the pins have stretched a little and become tarnished so contact is broken. The large multicore power cable should be supported anyway. I'll report back when I locate the source of the issue, its definitely a connection issue but exactly where I'm not so sure, my money is on the pins not making great contact.
Klinux

Return to d8b Forum