Change font size   Print view

Bios battery

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Bios battery

Postby csp » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 am

So long since I have changed the bios battery and previously I have always done it with the desk connected to the CPU box, but I currently have the desk wrapped in plastic and want to change the battery before it starts to leak or something.

My question, can the CPU unit be powered up without the desk being attached and if doing so, is it likely to cause any problem.

I really don't want to have to remove the desk from its current storage cupboard and then have to unwrap it until all the building mods for the studio have been completely finished ---- joys of building/modifying the studio in one's spare time !!!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Bios battery

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi David;

You should be able to change the battery without firing CPU up.

Just swap it as quickly as possible and check the BIOS once you console is in place and all is connected.

Having said that, since you would only be checking the BIOS (and not running the Mackie OS), you should be able to check the BIOS on the Monitor. Save and Exit, then power the CPU off before the OS runs. I'm not sure how far the software would get anyway as it would not find the hardware that is in it start-up file.

I defer to others here who may have experience with this.

Cheers and good luck.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Fri May 01, 2015 4:31 am

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply and as I stated in the past the console has always been attached.

What I might do is as you have suggested just change the battery and then when all is re-connected I will set the bios.

As I haven't changed the battery for at least three years I have no idea what condition it could be in --- if flat it really wont bother me, I only hope it hasn't leaked.

Looks like we are going to have a VERY wet weekend so I might bite the bullet and undo ALL those screws !!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Sat May 02, 2015 5:22 am

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I believe Bruce to be correct. and that you are smart to wrap everything in plastic if remodeling in a humid environment. I think the main reason my equipment has lasted so long is that even when the studio is empty I keep the temp and humidity in a narrow range. Good luck to you.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum