Change font size   Print view

2 D8B and 3 HDR

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

2 D8B and 3 HDR

Postby RoughWoodStudio » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:17 am

I have been happily and successfully using a D8B / HDR setup for over 10 years in my commercial studio. Load the rendered tracks into PT and mix, master, etc. A
few days back the OS wouldn't load. Backup board wouldn't either. Backup CPU/power supply had V5 on it. Apparently my V3 disks and patch was compromised because now they both either load incompletely (as in missing fields across the bottom of the screen) or "extraction error".
If I can't get good V3 disks and patch, I'll sell em' both to someone who can keep these great boards working.
RoughWoodStudio

Re: 2 D8B and 3 HDR

Postby RoughWoodStudio » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Come on now. I'm sure this has happened to others. The OS loads incompletely... Flashing ? or just locks up...Someone? Bueller?
RoughWoodStudio

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:56 am

Hey Roughwoodsstudio;

Let me see if I can offer some advice even though I do not have version 5 or 5.1. I will assume it is not a software issue, although you could try reloading your software (5.0 or 5.1), Service Pack 3, and see if if that helps. MIND YOU, make sure you have the Unlock Codes for 5.0/5.1 and all you plug ins that you use. If you don't they will not come back to life, Just a reminder in case you forgot or didn't know.

I have had the "Flashing ?'s" before and never "really" found out what it was. I cleaned all the edge connectors and ribbon connectors inside the d8b. Clean all power connections and the back-plane connector, changed the Battery and checked the BIOS all to have the same results. What I did do that worked but made no sense was to change PSU. Same software, version 3.0. Changed it back to the "I'm not going to work for you "PSU and it worked? WTF!

Type "Flashing ?" in the search field at the top of this forum. You will find some info there. Crash has some insight into this.

The other thing I can offer is to clean all the ribbon cables and connectors (I think you said that but use a good quality cleaner), and make sure they are firmly reseated.

I will try to do some searching for more info and get back to you.

Post back with other Q's and what you have learned.

Thanks
Bruce

PS. What a great website you have!
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:21 pm

The flashing ?/* in the VFD is an indication that you are not getting any clock signal.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RoughWoodStudio » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Yes. Thanks for the replies. I found the clock signal answer on one of these forums. Assuming it was connection/ribbon cable related I took every one off, cleaned with Caig ProGold and re-seated. Put in fresh batteries. (...old ones were just a year old.) No change. Even clocked externally with a Black Loin Micro clock... not that I could get in to change settings, etc. The funny thing is that I could have just used the back-up with V5 (...or 5.1?) But now they are both down. Is it possible to download the OS and patches still or do I need to find em' for sale somewhere?
Pressure is off somewhat since I needed to stay open I purchased a Midas 32F, but still love the workflow with the Mackie. Still there is no room for them if I can't use em'.
RoughWoodStudio

Postby RoughWoodStudio » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Boxed up one of the boards and CPU/power supply. Had the original boxes. The boards will go in storage till I can get the software or sell em' to someone who can use em'. Anyone have a lead on V3 software and patches? These boards are too good to just go away.
RoughWoodStudio

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Hey RoughwoodStudio;

Version 3 is on the Mackie website. Don't forget to get Service Pack 3 while you are there. You will need it to have you Plug-in's work. You will need the un-lock codes for you plug-in's as re-installing the software wipes them (I believe)

Not sure what you mean by Patches?

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RoughWoodStudio » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Fantastic! Thanks! I thought I was S.O.L. with regards to that software. I meant Service Pack. Will check it out today. :oops:

Now to find some 3.5 HD's.
RoughWoodStudio

Return to d8b Forum