Change font size   Print view

d8b new OS release

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b new OS release

Postby Audioman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Greetings to all, and sorry for my English ... I'm Italian and I have studied this language.

I would like to ask you a question:

If there is a real possibility if it met a new OS for D8B, how many of you you might actually want ?
Audioman

Re: d8b new OS release

Postby Carlo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 pm

IT would be an ingenious idea mate. Fai tutto quello che puio amico. E una grande idea.

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:37 am

Hi,
I would definitely be interested. especially if it would allow me to use a modern motherboard & enable use of 3rd party plugins.
And eq and dynamics should be available on all channels including groups and bus outs and master out. Tell us more.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35 am

The d8b keeps re-inventing itself - you could call the new software "Madonna" - just a thought ;)
_
...and yes why not?
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Audioman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 am

What I did with other audio devices, it is not only possible but also the impossible, also known as the designer of the device.

From what I found, there is still "room" in the DSP for other little things, and in any case there are several possible improvements, such as the ability to decide the access point of the AUX, pre or post fader always to the AUX etc. etc.

The effects / dynamic groups never exist, for those things exist BUS.
A group is only a "VCA" that controls all channels belonging to that group, is not a real routing.
A group is only a "master fader" and nothing else.

Before I realized that others had studied the serial communication protocol of D8B, I started to "logging" all transit, and I realized that communication is the same used in many other devices of the same brand, or produced by the same hands, hands that I know very well.

The only thing that makes it different communication, is sending the firmware (as in the other devices do not).

At this point I would like to ask a question: the surface sends an "R" (ready) and awaits the firmware, and in that mode is available only on display, while the entire surface is available after sending the firmware.

That commands should be sent to make accessible the entire surface without sending the firmware?

This information would save me a few hours of logging.
Audioman

Postby kderector » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm wondering if someone from the PROBox group would have an answer to this...
kderector

Postby the boss » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi

I don't know enything about your question but i have a question.

Does this program work with Mac or pc or both?

Me is one of those who love my three d8b consoles and I managed to get them to work 100% with 5.1 software and a probox in a network after some small fixes.
I will be very interested in a new software
the boss

Postby Audioman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:15 am

The software, must necessarily operate on the original platform, to maintain as much as possible compatibility with all.

I do not exclude that I might achieve something interesting, such as the introduction of an upgrade of the motherboard / cpu, bringing the software under Windows, and create a VST host to use (maybe via ADAT) PC to manage plugins, all in single interface.

Simply put, leverage the I / O and internal processes of the mixer (after being optimized at the most) and exploit the core of the PC to other external processes, and not only to see nice graphics of what you are doing.

Just as a test, I tried to implement the other two bands EQ, more precisely, I created an HP and LP, and I used the 'four-band EQ with full parametrics'.
It works, but I only tried with 12 channels, I should try with all 48, to see if the DSP governs all processes.

The things you can do are so many, but I have to first analyze the situation well.

Unfortunately, as a starting point I have the V3, who gave me the two D8B never had the V5.

To answer kderector, I avoid post within that group, because I think ProBox something purely commercial, it would be like asking Microsoft to release sources of Win 10.

Moreover, in the few days that I analyze the mixer, I already understood that ProBox could be easily replaced by a software less than 1 MB, which could run on Win or OSx.

Translate few serial commands in MIDI is definitely not a difficult thing, indeed, ridiculous.

Indeed, it would be even easier to make a software with a midimap, which translates from serial to what to midi, and you can map as you want, in order to adapt the surface of what you want

If someone manages and provide that information, saving time, otherwise I will find itself, but it's a shame to waste time that could be used for other things.

I tried to contact Marc Girard, but unfortunately did not respond.
Audioman

Postby FrankH » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:05 pm

I tried to contact Marc Girard, but unfortunately did not respond.

And he probably never will. After nearly two years of non-progress, he has abandoned his product and his forum.

And in typical Girard fashion, he did not post this announcement at the top of his forum. He posts about it in one of the threads below. As far as I'm concerned, Peter Sueco should close it down entirely.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Audioman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:19 am

I do not know the person, and I write in confidence: I'm someone who "shares the know", and I speak in the same way, hoping that others are like me.

Having abandoned the project, it would be more reason to share, for my opinion.

I repeat, are all things that I don't have trouble finding alone, be just to save time, that in the summer I do not have, being engaged as a sound engineer in numerous live events.
Audioman

Next

Return to d8b Forum