Change font size   Print view

d8b new OS release

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: d8b new OS release

Postby Audioman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:39 pm

With windows control more than 24 + 2 vu-meter via serial, when they control "only" 48 + 24 + 2 without any problem, and I could duplicate or triple the number.

If handled well, the serial connection to Win, is a lot more versatile with Dos, or other OS (OS type Mackie), comparable to LNX.

I moreover, I optimize many processes in ASM to maximize the speed (all processes that have rewritten it for the DXB, I made them right in ASM, comp / eq / GEQ ...).

What do you mean audio protocol?
You mean the firmware or something?

Because there is no audio communication between the CPU and the audio mixer.

As for the fact that "the surface can not be reached without the firmware" I solved the problem.
In fact the control of faders, encoders, LEDs etc. etc., can be reached simply by sending the right commands.

Then just turn on, send 4 commands, and you can reach everything.

I asked to subscribe to the group, because I hope (if there are numbers) to obtain the original source code, with which to develop a new firmware "bespoke and user demand."

I have already done this with several other audio devices, much more complex, and much more complicated. Hardware limits not scare me, just optimize the extreme, and is room for much more interesting and useful (and, in the case of D8B, necessary).

I do not need to control the market: Probox you sell at a price that does not know, but I can definitely say that with an Arduino $ 20 you get the same result.

So do not talk to me of open source.

If you want, I design an object similar to Probox, with Arduino, and open souce, both hardware and software.

I with the DXB (to quote always something Mackie), I created a software that goes beyond (very well) the initial project, and those who wanted the software has only contributed to my expenses for electricity, and I just recovered less than 16% of the costs, and everyone can confirm my commitment and my reliability.

I spent two years and a half of work, and continuous development.
Audioman

Postby Audioman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Arduino original made in Italy: € 14,90 (arduino clone 9,90)
Midi board: € 12,30 (the most expansive)
Serial connector: € 0,87
DIN connector: € 0,95 for 2

Audioman

Postby Carlo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Go for it audioman.you will make us happy and will support you

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby munkustrap » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Audioman wrote:With windows control more than 24 + 2 vu-meter via serial, when they control "only" 48 + 24 + 2 without any problem, and I could duplicate or triple the number.

wrong, the meter is controlled directly between brain board and DSP board for Audio, if you need to show the meters from the daw channels you have to transmit it via the serial communication.
As a hint: ONE segment needs 4 bytes to be switched ON and additional 4 bytes to be switched OFF, you have 12 segments per Meter this times 26 makes 4*12*26=1248 bytes to set all LEDs on the Meter in worst case with 115,2kBaud and 10 bits per byte (including start/stop bit) you can transmit 11520 bytes pers second as a maximum. That means a full set takes 100ms (without the MTC display which will increase the latency again).
Or the other way around: The old MCU has Midi so 31,25kBaud. with 3 controllers you can transmit 93,75kbaud.
a LED or button needs 3 bytes on MIDI site, but 4 bytes on the d8b serial site, so an increase of 25%.The meter even more,
a full set is 48bytes on the d8b and only 3 bytes on the MCU protocol.

I doubled the bandwith to 230,4kBaud and also hacked the meter bridge commands to be faster on big meter jumps.

Nice picture of your microcontroller. Do you think people are happy here if they get this stuff as you have shown on your picture? You need a case, solid cables and so on. Thats work and costs money.'

Again, I can offer you to work together. You are interested in the comands protocol, I'm interested in the audio protocol (the dsp commands, not any audio stream).
I can also imagine to help you on the OS development, if I'm able to program on your used platform.

Mybe the users here can comment a little on their needs. I have the feeling that the most people here only need a DAW controller and a few of them has an audio interface with adat only. These people want to have a simple audio routing to get their Audio into/Out the DAW. They do not need EQing and that stuff. I'm pretty sure that all people her would like to have a channel display and a simple audio routing and a SILENT PSU and they are the happiest people.

Also we all should keep in mind that the d8b is an old dog that will not live forever, so I guess if we develop a new OS in the next 3 years 33% of the people may not have a d8b anymore. So this development must be fast.

Question: italian guy and DSP. you have worked/work for ST?

best regards
Munk
munkustrap

Postby munkustrap » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:55 pm

just had a look on your picture, you need RS232 not MIDI to get access to the d8b console !
probox converts from RS232 to 4 USM midi ports on one USB midi cable. I do not use the slow old MIDI plugs.

If you need any information just contact me: probox (add) weritz (dot) com

best regards
Munk
munkustrap

Postby funk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:16 pm

"As a hint: ONE segment needs 4 bytes to be switched ON and additional 4 bytes to be switched OFF, you have 12 segments per Meter this times 26 makes 4*12*26=1248 bytes to set all LEDs on the Meter in worst case with 115,2kBaud and 10 bits per byte (including start/stop bit) you can transmit 11520 bytes pers second as a maximum. That means a full set takes 100ms (without the MTC display which will increase the latency again).
Or the other way around: The old MCU has Midi so 31,25kBaud. with 3 controllers you can transmit 93,75kbaud.
a LED or button needs 3 bytes on MIDI site, but 4 bytes on the d8b serial site, so an increase of 25%.The meter even more,
a full set is 48bytes on the d8b and only 3 bytes on the MCU protocol.

I doubled the bandwith to 230,4kBaud and also hacked the meter bridge commands to be faster on big meter jumps.

Mybe the users here can comment a little on their needs."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
christ munk !, i thought i was intellijent till i read that. :cry:
great work guys its great to see people really still that intrested in the d8b.... and reassuring to know
there are people one can still turn too. :D
Last edited by funk on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby Audioman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:20 pm

munkustrap wrote:
Audioman wrote:With windows control more than 24 + 2 vu-meter via serial, when they control "only" 48 + 24 + 2 without any problem, and I could duplicate or triple the number.

wrong, the meter is controlled directly between brain board and DSP board for Audio, if you need to show the meters from the daw channels you have to transmit it via the serial communication.

Nothing wrong, I do not speak of D8B but other devices.
Yes, correct, but between the DSP board and cpu intel, there's transit audio of any kind.
And the meter are accessible directly from the serial bypassing the DSP.
Did you know?

Pass plug that are loaded in the DSP: Did you know that are compiled "windows based", and are very similar to the standard VST ?

Tascam X48 (or X48 mkII), 48 realtime vu meter in a 9600 serial connection, update 50 times per second (the d8b use, as known, 115200, but you can change the speed, with a command).

I use the same system, same ASM code, same modality to send the VU via serial.

Advice: you do not always need to send something, if nothing has changed, and there are different ways to send the things ;)

You can not know what it takes to others, I know many people who, for example, use the mixer for what it is, and also in live: they want a new software. And they do not want to change mixer !
You know what they ask of you, I know what you are asking me !

Last thing: I said that I did not have V5 (never bought), now I own that works, and not demo, and full plug: mistery...

If you proposed it properly could be a collaboration, but you gave me reputed beginning as what you ruin the business ...

I'd only need help to expedite my understanding of the system, now I solved, and not thanks to your "valuable" contribution, that you abstain from me, or rather, you asked me something in return, after proposing me to work open source (open source I, not you...).

Audioman

Postby Audioman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am

munkustrap wrote:just had a look on your picture, you need RS232 not MIDI to get access to the d8b console !
probox converts from RS232 to 4 USM midi ports on one USB midi cable. I do not use the slow old MIDI plugs.

If you need any information just contact me: probox (add) weritz (dot) com

best regards
Munk

The RS232 be integrated, you do not see the connector and I had not connected.

I do not care this thing, you did, right?

Being only a try if possible to be, and you can, and you can also do via USB with a simple driver did it on purpose, compiled for 32 or 64 bit, then the MIDI board do not even need, but perfect for testing.

And then via USB, you can have as many MIDI ports: a USB PC with DAW, a serial to mixer.

Instead add an interesting display and a battery (CR2032), three keys (two for select, one for enter), and add the ability to decide "the translation" to do, to be adapted to the various DAW. The battery is used to keep in memory only one variable, and to avoid writing the EPROM integrated CPU of Arduino, which is writable "only" about 10,000 times.
Audioman

Postby Audioman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:42 am

Lol
Attachments
questo.jpg
questo.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Audioman

Postby munkustrap » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi

You wrote i did a simple midi to serial converter. I only pointed
Out that the basic function is like that, but the tricky part
Is The realtime process over a communication interface that is overloaded.
The d8b console firmware is not designed For a simple
Daw remote controller application.

I offered you my help, giving you information about the console
Protocol. I do not want money, just some information back about the dsp
CPU connection, that has no audio streaming, just commands.

I can only close The discussion by wishing you good luck on your
Project and much success. The people here in the forum were disappointed
Too often. They are hungry For such solutions that work stable and breath
New Life into their d8bs.

Good luck
munkustrap

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum