Change font size   Print view

Loss of Audio - Would this work?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Loss of Audio - Would this work?

Postby Zarg » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:55 am

Hi

I hope someone can advise me.

I have been experiencing the Loss of Audio / Frozen meters issue for a couple of years. It is exactly as described in the maintenance guide (http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post9 ). I have had the ribbon cable soldered to the power distribution PCB (A in my photo), but I still am experiencing the fault. If I open the desk and wiggle the connector at box B in my photo it can cure the problem temporarily - sometimes it will be fine for 2 weeks, but then it happens again. Recently it has only worked for an hour or so before the audio cuts out again. It's getting beyond frustrating now...

If I soldered the ribbon cable to the board at box B in my photo would this solve my problem?
Attachments
ribbon cable d8b5.jpg
ribbon cable d8b5.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Zarg

Re: Loss of Audio - Would this work?

Postby Old School » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi,
It would seem logical that if you wiggle the connector at the box and functionality is restored, that unless there is a crack or break in the printed circuit board underneath the box, soldering the connection should solve the problem. jmho

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby david12 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:43 am

there must be problem with its socket , once i had same type of problem.
david12

Postby vert360 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Did Soldering the connection ever resolve your issue, because i am having the same issue? I have used hot glue to hold it the connection down, it worked for a while, and now it will only stay work for a hour.
vert360

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 am

I posted a connector "fix" sometime ago as I was having issues, it might work in your case.

Re-seating the connectors solved the problem but only for a while, sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a few minutes, the problem wasn't the connection between the connector pins but where the ribbon sits on the connector spikes.

I solved this by pulling off the connector, then running my thumb nail between the ribbon and connector both sides, this lifts the ribbon off the spikes slightly, some silicon connector spray was squirted in, then the connector tightly clamped back with pliers...no problems since!

Phil

PS. This is obviously not for the mains connectors.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 am

I did the same as Phil suggested but also used tie wrap connectors and have had no issues the last 3 years
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 pm

what i did was at connector B i unplugged it and carefully bend the pins slightly off cent so 1 up one down one up one down, what this does is put constant pressure on the female pins in the plug as you have to slightly bend the male pins to get the plug on, when its on its then nice and tight. no problems since,
If you decide to do the same with one on the power board BEWARE ! ! ! make sure it disconnected and has been off for a while to let the caps discharge ! ! and try not to touch two of the pins at the same time ! !

Another thing...make sure the BFC main plug that you cant spin the back of it , the bit where the cable clamp is connected to, this should be tight, if you can turn it after you have screwed the bfc to the d8b you should tighten it up, if its loose then its twisting the wires inside !, not good,
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Return to d8b Forum