Change font size   Print view

CPU/PSU Power Supply question

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

CPU/PSU Power Supply question

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Guys.. it's been a while. Hope you're all good.
Just have a quick question about shutting down the CPU/PSU power supply directly from the main power socket it's connected to via the main power cable (kettle lead). Since I moved location, I've moved the CPU/PSU outside of studio and want to isolate the power down process (CPU/PSU on/off) to my control room. Will it be safe to switch off and on when needed, directly from the mains socket it's connected too and leave the power switch on the CPU/PSU in the on position without any adverse affects. Would appreciate any input. Thanks. Andy :) :roll:
Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom... Let the learning begin.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: CPU/PSU Power Supply question

Postby munkustrap » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi

Take a switch that switches both wires, the phase and the neutral.
Then you are 100% sure. If you add an overvoltage protection then
You will do the most possible secure solution.
Best regards
munkustrap

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for the speedy response. Could you elaborate on taking a switch that switches both Phase and Neutral. Do you mean extend the existing CPU/PSU switch to a separate switch inside my control room? Here the UK our Sockets are 3 pin-Ground/Live/Neutral. Forgive my inexperience in electrical matters :(
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi OscarPro1;

What I believe is being suggested by munkustrap is that a "Double-Pole-Single-Throw" switch be installed between the power source for the CPU and the socket that the CPU is plugged into. In that way you are disconnecting both the live (Phase) and Neutral from the CPU. Not a bad idea but not sure if it is necessary depending on what you mean by "Isolate". I do not know how your studio is wired for power as there are many convention for properly wiring a Isolated Grounded system. It could also be that you studio is in you house and the power is good (low or little noise in the power coming into your house).

This is assuming you are are using the "Shut-down" process in the d8b?

As you have a Neutral and a Phase (White/Black), having a standard Single-Pole-Single-Throw switch will do the job, and be cheaper.

It would be like wiring a wall switch to turn off a light bulb, expect the light bulb in this case is the d8b CPU.

I hope that helps and I hope I understood what munkustrap was saying. If I'm incorrect (also known as wrong), please let me know.

Good to see you post again!

Thanks and cheers from Canada
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the input-much appreciated.
At my previous property I had the CPU/PSU placed in an adjacent room to the control room in my home. So if I needed to power down the power supply I'd physically walk through one door and switch it off, after using the shutdown process of the D8B.
I've recently moved and had a purpose built project studio at the end of my garden and I've placed the CPU/PSU in a dedicated fabricated custom box on the outside of the studio. Power to the Studio is on a separate breaker running from the main electricity supply from my home.
To save physically having to step outside to access the CPU/PSU and power down when needed after the D8B shutdown process ofcourse, I'd like a way to do it from within the control room without causing any issues to the Power supply.
Initially, I thought of extending the four wired on/off D8B power supply switch, but I thought I'd ask my D8B brethren first. :)
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum