Change font size   Print view

Mackie d8b and reliability?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Mackie d8b and reliability?

Postby Crash » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Lyn69, if you are talking about getting 5.1 code for a console that already had it at one point, then yes, you can get that for a recovery of some sort. Try getting a console to go from version 3.0 to 5.1 isn't going to happen. Unless something has drastically changed, I think you have received codes for that were generated long ago.

Welcome by the way, and enjoy your visit. You might want to check out the database section as it is a wealth of info. put together by guys that have been using this console for almost two decades.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Lyn69, if you are talking about getting 5.1 code for a console that already had it at one point, then yes, you can get that for a recovery of some sort. Try getting a console to go from version 3.0 to 5.1 isn't going to happen. Unless something has drastically changed, I think you have received codes for that were generated long ago.

Welcome by the way, and enjoy your visit. You might want to check out the database section as it is a wealth of info. put together by guys that have been using this console for almost two decades.

Hi Crash
Judging by the response on here, people have already miss interpreted what I have said. I bought the desk and I cloned the hard drive which already had the 5.1 software installed. I also said that Mackie have a data base with all the activation codes that have been purchased in the past NOT NEW ONES. It goes back to my point in my original post that people on here have the best intentions, but get their head in a twist very easily. If guys don't want to believe what I'm saying I will copy and paste the email from Mackie and post it here for all to see. I'm not and have not said anything about new codes only existing ones which are stored on their data base. Thank you for getting back and I love my D8B!

Lyn69
lyn69

Postby lyn69 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 pm

a lot of people have tried to get the cods and you know Mackie has been informed
about this. so if what you say is true then why has Mackie not told all the people that has ask
about the cods. Mackie has even been giving a bad name just because of not giving people the
cods so if this was true you know Mackie would let people know this so it would make Mackie look good.

Hi Joe

Thank you for getting back to me. Mackie don't have to inform anyone about what they are doing, especially as this product is not currently in production. It's always down to us to make a fuss and let them know that there are still plenty of users out there that need support. I do feel for you guys who can't upgrade, but I did mention in my post that the activation codes are stored on their database, which means only for those who have previously bought the 5.1 software in the past.

lyn69
lyn69

Postby Crash » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:38 pm

lyn69 wrote:Lyn69, if you are talking about getting 5.1 code for a console that already had it at one point, then yes, you can get that for a recovery of some sort. Try getting a console to go from version 3.0 to 5.1 isn't going to happen. Unless something has drastically changed, I think you have received codes for that were generated long ago.

Hi Crash
Judging by the response on here, people have already miss interpreted what I have said. I bought the desk and I cloned the hard drive which already had the 5.1 software installed. I also said that Mackie have a data base with all the activation codes that have been purchased in the past NOT NEW ONES. It goes back to my point in my original post that people on here have the best intentions, but get their head in a twist very easily. If guys don't want to believe what I'm saying I will copy and paste the email from Mackie and post it here for all to see. I'm not and have not said anything about new codes only existing ones which are stored on their data base. Thank you for getting back and I love my D8B!

Lyn69

Yep, we all know about the database for existing codes. Most of us on here are in a snit that you cannot upgrade a console running V3 to V5.1. As you know, since this is a long dead unsupported product, there is no financial gain for Mackie to revive the computer that generated the codes for the handful of people that want to upgrade.

By the way, no where in your original post does it say you already had 5.1, so it was quite confusing to some on here by how you wrote your thread. I went back and re-read it and the way it is written could be construed that you received new codes...we have all been down that road and danced that dance and no that is not gonna happen. We have people that have done all the stuff you are talking about. Here is the database I referred to earlier where the knowlege of the collective has been collected in one place. It even includes a fan mod for a quiter CPU, all the BIOS settings, etc.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html

I agree, the console is underated and still holds its' own for what it is. It is long in the tooth for track/channel limitations and being held to 44.1/48K but it is still strong in the automation department. Glad you have seen the light, no go forth and mix something that doesn't suck.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi,
We also all know how to clone the hard drive & most here have installed a CF card or SSD. So please lighten up on the disrespect. We are not ignorant.

Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi,
We also all know how to clone the hard drive & most here have installed a CF card or SSD. So please lighten up on the disrespect. We are not ignorant.

LOL! You guys, I love you man! I did say in my original post that I was new to the D8B, but I'm a quick learner. I already know about SSD and CF, but chose to clone as this was the quickest solution to a problem and since have had no issues. I was also trying to say what a great desk it is, as there are so many people slagging it off, for lack of reliability. I have not had a single issue with my desk and even as I'm messaging you now I'm in the studio recording with the D8B! :)

Lyn69
lyn69

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Old School wrote:Hi,

Mike W.

I agree. He's a smartarse. Committed to memory.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby FrankH » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:34 pm

I also got the activation codes from Mackie for the 5.1 software within 24 hours and unlike others on this site it worked first time for me, which makes me wonder can some of you enter a couple of numbers correctly?

Lyn69:

It is this sentence from the original post that made this thread get all the traction it has. As Crash pointed out, nowhere is there a mention of an upgrade from v3 to v5.1 or that v5.1 existed on your machine to start with.

No one has "miss-interpreted" what you originally wrote. What you wrote misinformed the membership by reason of omission, coupled with an unnecessary snide remark. Defending it only compounds ill will. Not a great start.

As mentioned elsewhere, there are quite a few threads on this forum discussing the fact that pre-existing 5.1 codes can still be had from Mackie but new upgrade codes can't (or won't) be issued. And , of course, a number of threads discussing the change-over from IDE HDs to CF cards. One post was clear enough to prompt me to make the change, which I did...well over two years ago. Successfully. We can read.

So try and keep it real and the editorials civil, eh? No one needs to be called a smartarse here*.

* Spammers not included
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:04 am

Hi all;

I have 3 d8b's and 2 CPU's (don't ask), and I sent my 3 ESN to Mackie about a year ago and they could not provide me with authorization codes for 5.1 EVEN THOUGH, 2 of my consoles had legal, purchased 5.1 software! They told me that as I had no idea. They all had 3.0 when I got them. I was looking or Plug-in Codes.

So......what is the deal I read here! FrankH, you stated that pre-existing 5.1 codes could be gotten?

Is this through the Mackie website? Could someone clarify this! Please! I may have been in contact with the wrong person at Mackie!

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:34 pm

i all;

I have 3 d8b's and 2 CPU's (don't ask), and I sent my 3 ESN to Mackie about a year ago and they could not provide me with authorization codes for 5.1 EVEN THOUGH, 2 of my consoles had legal, purchased 5.1 software! They told me that as I had no idea. They all had 3.0 when I got them. I was looking or Plug-in Codes.

So......what is the deal I read here! FrankH, you stated that pre-existing 5.1 codes could be gotten?

Is this through the Mackie website? Could someone clarify this! Please! I may have been in contact with the wrong person at Mackie!

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce

As I have already said on a previous post, I am new to the D8B and I wanted to clone a hard drive which already had the 5.1 software installed. I contacted mackie at techmail@mackie.com and got a response within 24 hours. Here is the email that they sent me with the codes.

Thanks for the reply.

The following plug-ins are registered to the d8b with ESN 0000-0643-B18B (You must have a UFX card installed in your d8b to run these plug-ins).

Registered plug-ins:

--->D8B v5.1 Operating System
License Number: VYME-UKMH-PARA-ZBTA-KETI
Unlock Code: D3E0-EB66-8122

Free plug-ins:

--->Mackie Mono Delay
Unlock code: 4FD6-E0FD-B290

--->TC FX II
Unlock code: DF67-F2F2-D284

Please note that these unlock codes will only work with d8b Service Pack 3. You can download the latest d8b software at:

http://www.mackie.com/products/d8b_v5/downloads.html

All the best,

Technical Support
Mackie/TAPCO/Ampeg/Crate
LOUD Technologies Inc.
800-258-6883 ext. 1632

Mackie EMAIL SIGNATURE

Lyn69
lyn69

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum