Change font size   Print view

New OS for D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

New OS for D8B

Postby Old School » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:43 am

Hi All,
If you could ask for just one feature in a new OS for the D8B. What would it be?

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: New OS for D8B

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:32 am

Hi Mike;

Sorry but I have 2 requests.

#1- Reasonable cost with no un-lock codes.
#2- A Forum made up of great people whi want to help others. Like this one!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:27 am

Here comes a dream situation

If the console by db25 to usb converter was identified like any other sound card.
When you look in your daw's like protools, dp8, logic or what you use I/o you will read d8b mic/line 1 and d8b tape out 1 and so on. And all controllers on your console was as it is in mackie OS 5.1. But in your daw software.

All special things like faster faders, track sheet, faders before or after, fader cal and more you'll find in the d8b preferences box in your Mac or pc.

For this to work you have to install the pc or Mac version of my dream software:)
In this dream situation you'll first install your sound card like motu 2408 or something and the new software replace names in I/o list and so on.
the boss

Postby the boss » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:45 am

I know.... That's a dream.

Just make it work with a pc or Mac connected with a db25 to USB converter.
And make all buttons and things work like it does in OS 5.1. With ftp function and so on.
Maybe some vst plugins on the mfx and ufx cards dsp power like vst installation separately in the new software would be nice.
the boss

Postby Old School » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:45 pm

Hi All,
Not complaining as I did ask for suggestions about a new OS, but does nobody out there use the D8B for anything besides controlling your DAW? Does no one record groups of live musicians all at once (a situation where the D8B really shines)? Is there no one left who doesn't mix everything "in the box"? Just curious.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:39 am

Hi Mike;

I use the d8b as the Mackie God's created it. No DAW. Just an HDR.

I record live "off the floor" and in my own space.

I edit using the HDR/d8b and would have no interest, or money, in using a DAW.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:24 am

I use my two consoles to record and mix in sync with two sdr's and digital performer 8 and a tascam m600 analog console.
Sound card 4xmotu 2408mk3 one tascam ms16 analog reel to reel and mtpav by motu as master clock... All in sync.

Sometimes I switch over the db25 switch for probox use.

That's about all my recording stuff.....
The d8b console is fantastic in original....;)
the boss

Postby munkustrap » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:40 am

the boss wrote:Here comes a dream situation

If the console by db25 to usb converter was identified like any other sound card.
When you look in your daw's like protools, dp8, logic or what you use I/o you will read d8b mic/line 1 and d8b tape out 1 and so on. And all controllers on your console was as it is in mackie OS 5.1. But in your daw software.

All special things like faster faders, track sheet, faders before or after, fader cal and more you'll find in the d8b preferences box in your Mac or pc.

For this to work you have to install the pc or Mac version of my dream software:)
In this dream situation you'll first install your sound card like motu 2408 or something and the new software replace names in I/o list and so on.

unfortunately that is technically not possible as the Sub25 connector doesn't provide any Audio Information.

The only technical possibility is to use a DICE II device, mounted on a PCB and designed as a d8b Card that is inserted instead of the 3 ADAT Cards. Here you get the Audio stuff to Firewire, maybe also USB already exists- that Needs to be checked. It could also be possible that the Controller of the DICE handles the console and the DSP. Otherwise an additional Controller Needs to be build on the Card. At least you will then Need a Connection from the Card to the sub-D25 pol connector of the d8b but thats all (Hardware).
munkustrap

Postby Boughman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to replace the old d8b computer with new hardware. A d8b OS on new hardware that allowed 3rd party plugins would be great. I use the DB8 for live recording and interface with ADAT's. I'm old school I guess.
Boughman

Return to d8b Forum