Change font size   Print view

Eyeballing a d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Eyeballing a d8b

Postby Jamesp65 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:30 am

So the last couple days these consoles have caught my eye. They seem dated but feature ridden (which seems not much these days really is) so I had a few questions.

Can I integrate this into an existing setup (patching channels into an interface)?

What kind of control would I have of my daw? I currently use studio one 2 but was debating switching over to Logic Pro x.

Is there anyone modifying these with better converters, cleaner pres(I've heard both are muddy)

Is it even worth going down the rabbit hole? It would be my first console so I'm not opposed to something older but is it worth it?

I don't see a lot of iO options with its current state but I'm kinda newer to pieces like this so I might not be understanding something.

Thanks everyone in advance its cool to still see people standing behind older products still!
Jamesp65

Re: Eyeballing a d8b

Postby Old School » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:11 am

Hi,
If you want to use the D8B to control your daw, then check out the pro-box forum. This device allows control of most popular software. If you want to use the board for what it was intended, in my personal opinion there is still nothing that does as many things as well as the D8B. Yeah you can get higher sample rates, better mic pre's, but you can't work as fast or as well in my opinion as you can on the D8B & in the end, there's not 1 person out of 100 who can tell if your track was mastered from 192K or 48K. JMHO

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 am

Hi All

I just bought a d8b and I thoroughly recommend them. Make sure it comes with 5.1 software installed. Also be prepared to buy a soundcard, they can be expensive for the optical connections. Good luck and let us know what you get. :)

Lyn69
lyn69

Postby funk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Old School wrote:Hi,
If you want to use the D8B to control your daw, then check out the pro-box forum. This device allows control of most popular software. If you want to use the board for what it was intended, in my personal opinion there is still nothing that does as many things as well as the D8B. Yeah you can get higher sample rates, better mic pre's, but you can't work as fast or as well in my opinion as you can on the D8B & in the end, there's not 1 person out of 100 who can tell if your track was mastered from 192K or 48K. JMHO

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.

Exactly what i was going to say...
spot on mike ;)
and to add to that i have found most people cant even tell the diff between tape and digi.
as alot of stuff you hear online sound naff anyway.

get what works and get writing. :D
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Return to d8b Forum