Change font size   Print view

is it worth it??

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: is it worth it??

Postby funk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:22 am

Bruce Graham wrote:Hi Micha and welcome to the Forum;

Your question is hard for me to answer but I will give you perspective on things and my d8b's.

I have 3. Two working one just in case. They are all early versions and only 1 works all the time. Well almost all of the time. It has it problems. I know I will have to invest a few more dollars ($200.00 CDN) to get it running tip top only to know that, due to its age and a dwindling parts supply that someday, not too far away they will stop working.

I do this for fun and to keep my mind working and my ears "in tune". If I had to do this for money, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use these in a studio where I have clients looking over my shoulders. I'd still have one a home, just not in a money making studio.

I think that because you have asked, you have answered your own question. There is no real future with this console. They have had their day. And they worked way beyond what they where designed to do. A tribute to The people at Mackie.

Yes they work now and may work for a few more years but it is a computer and the parts are harder to find and they get more expensive and it becomes less and less the format that the industry works in.

They have served us well, and unless you have a bag of money, a good supplier of parts and someone who will take the time to figure out how they work so they can keep them working I would not consider investing your future with this console.

Again, I have 3 and think they are great!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Bruce

Hi bruce and old school.
While some things Bruce you have said are true, it not having a future due to mackie giving up on it so no real back up, i can see that side of things.
but a future i feel mine does have,
in that it is doing a wonderful job of recording my bands new cd,
and sounds the mutz nutz,
now to put things into perspective to take out my love of the d8b and hdr i am also in another 11 piece band with brass section where band members also have their own daws, protools, cubase and reaper,
on one track we did all of our own bits on our own systems using mine (from the d8b and hdr) with bass drums guitar and other bits as a guide sent to them.
For the vocals and brass section parts, we went into another ( proper !) studio to do these who also mastered the track, all submitting our own stem files,
of all the stem files submitted it was noted that the ones submitted by my d8b/hdr were great quality and sounded " clear as a bell with no clutter"
thats another studio saying that, i was quite pleased to hear that, life in the boy yet.
mine has a future and is helping me create, CREATE....and is more than keeping up with the joneses in terms of sound quality.
but i can see bruces point its future is down to availability parts but while there's moonlight and music and love and romance .....................
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:32 am

Cheers Funk;

Till my d8b dies, we will make music together! No doubt!

Keep the faith, and hopefully you and your d8b will live a long and prosperous life of music making.
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:11 pm

I will sell my d8b-hdr rig for $27.500 dollars
that should mean something. no I am not crazzzzzzzy

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:27 pm

not willing to give up mine...in fact i bought a second d8b....
Even at the grocer you will find d8b parts so dont worry.....we have contacts if you need parts. :D
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:36 pm

i had always wanted one ever since they first came out but couldnt afford the 10 grand that they once went for. since prices dramatically dropped over the years it looked like a great deal on ebay a few years back so i purchased one for $1400 but still havent had the chance to use it due to space requirements and cost to upgrade it. my current setup is jam packed in my studio....but may unbox it and give it a spin.

Like you, when these desks first came out I wanted one too. Now I have one and for £650 or $ 850 and it's in great condition. Also looks cool in my studio too :). If you can by the brain with the 5.1 activation codes ( I've seen them on Ebay) you could have a very useful desk to play around with. Let me know how you get on.

Lyn69
lyn69

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Hey Carlo;

It is good to hear there are places to get parts. I have gotten most parts from ebay and some from others but generally it is becoming difficult me me to find spares.

Ebay is a good source but I would like to investigate other places to get prices.

Can you post your suppliers names and if not, would you mind if I, and others, contact you for this info?

Thanks and Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi Bruce,

Yes ebay is a very good source but i get my spares from Eric Russ. Do you know him? Hi name on ebay is mackenziejoyous
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby micha » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:04 am

thanks to all who have responded. i think i will take your advice and stick with the d8b. i will have to make a number of upgrades but am willing to give it a run. tnx again guys. abd should i have any technical issues....i have this forum. tnx again....greatly appreciate it
micha

Postby Carlo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:45 am

micha wrote:thanks to all who have responded. i think i will take your advice and stick with the d8b. i will have to make a number of upgrades but am willing to give it a run. tnx again guys. abd should i have any technical issues....i have this forum. tnx again....greatly appreciate it

We are here to help. No worries. The d8b is a very sturdy mixer. Give it a chance and you will not go back.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:14 am

[quote="Give it a chance and you will not go back.[/quote]
haha... carlo, this may be true :lol:
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum