Change font size   Print view

is it worth it??

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

is it worth it??

Postby micha » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 am

hello all....new to the forum and need some advice from all you techies. i purchased a d8b v.3 about 4 yrs ago on ebay. it works fine just havent used it yet due to non existing room in my tiny studio. so it has been boxed up since i got it on ebay. my question to all u guys....seeing as it is a relic would it be more cost effective to sell it or to actually mod it out as best as can be expected. i have been leaning towards a protools setup but the cost for a system like protools can be expensive. i have read so much about the d8b being something people should run away from. can it/will it be a workhorse once i invest money into it if i decide to keep it? i already have a anolog mixer and a hdr and mdr. any help is very appreciated. tnx
micha

Re: is it worth it??

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:29 am

Hi Micha and welcome to the Forum;

Your question is hard for me to answer but I will give you perspective on things and my d8b's.

I have 3. Two working one just in case. They are all early versions and only 1 works all the time. Well almost all of the time. It has it problems. I know I will have to invest a few more dollars ($200.00 CDN) to get it running tip top only to know that, due to its age and a dwindling parts supply that someday, not too far away they will stop working.

I do this for fun and to keep my mind working and my ears "in tune". If I had to do this for money, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use these in a studio where I have clients looking over my shoulders. I'd still have one a home, just not in a money making studio.

I think that because you have asked, you have answered your own question. There is no real future with this console. They have had their day. And they worked way beyond what they where designed to do. A tribute to The people at Mackie.

Yes they work now and may work for a few more years but it is a computer and the parts are harder to find and they get more expensive and it becomes less and less the format that the industry works in.

They have served us well, and unless you have a bag of money, a good supplier of parts and someone who will take the time to figure out how they work so they can keep them working I would not consider investing your future with this console.

Again, I have 3 and think they are great!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Graham on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby micha » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:34 pm

thanks bruce.....i appreciate the feedback. as i stated i dont want this to turn into a money pit, so i guess i may have to get rid of the d8b.

tnx....take care
micha

Postby Old School » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:12 am

Hi,
What condition is it in and what cards are installed & how much do you want for it?

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby micha » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:04 pm

hi mike......the condition of the unit is good..no issues to my knowledge. the previous owner said it worked flawless for him. its been awhile since i have had it out of the box so not sure if it came installed with cards or not. as for the price, just looking on ebay the going rate is 700-900+. i purchased it for $1400 .00
micha

Postby garrett21allen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi could you look to see what kind of cards you have with the d8b
can you check to see if it has the stock clock card. people need to know
what cards are in the d8b that the selling point in my mind. thanks

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:00 pm

hello all....new to the forum and need some advice from all you techies. i purchased a d8b v.3 about 4 yrs ago on ebay. it works fine just havent used it yet due to non existing room in my tiny studio. so it has been boxed up since i got it on ebay. my question to all u guys....seeing as it is a relic would it be more cost effective to sell it or to actually mod it out as best as can be expected. i have been leaning towards a protools setup but the cost for a system like protools can be expensive. i have read so much about the d8b being something people should run away from. can it/will it be a workhorse once i invest money into it if i decide to keep it? i already have a anolog mixer and a hdr and mdr. any help is very appreciated. tnx

Yes,Yes and Yes! Think about it... how many desks today have total recall and moving faders! Not many. My advice would be to check the CPU is in good working order. The only issue you might have is that you don't have 5.1 software, but another option would be the Probox which turns your d8b into a DAW controller. These desks are so cheap now and greatly underrated. I have the Probox as well as using the desk to record live drums etc. I would also like to add I have had no issues with my d8b, apart from the odd boot up because the hard drive was sticking, so I cloned it and since then it's been great! What have you got to loose? Go for it and enjoy. Also there is alot of good info on the database and user forum too.

Lyn69
lyn69

Postby micha » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:44 pm

tnx Lyn for ur reply. i had always wanted one ever since they first came out but couldnt afford the 10 grand that they once went for. since prices dramatically dropped over the years it looked like a great deal on ebay a few years back so i purchased one for $1400 but still havent had the chance to use it due to space requirements and cost to upgrade it. my current setup is jam packed in my studio....but may unbox it and give it a spin.
micha

Postby micha » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:46 pm

still would like to hear from other users. tnx
micha

Postby Old School » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi,
It would be a good idea to give it a spin, you might like it. But even if you don't, knowing what cards it has & it's working condition affect it's sale value dramatically, especially what cards it has.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum