Change font size   Print view

d8b drive in usb case

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b drive in usb case

Postby jimmyd » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Is it possible to view the sessions on a d8b hard drive in a IDE to USB case on a windows machine?

Since my first question received no replies, I am thinking I needed to ask the question in a different way.
jimmyd

Re: d8b drive in usb case

Postby hyaena » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi Jimmy,

it depends on, what you mean by 'view the sessions'.
You can see the files as such, if you use a FTP program on your WIN PC (works on apple as well) and use a CAT5 cable to connect board and PC.
If I remember right, to connect you have to tell the console the appropriate ID-number of your PC.

But if you want to see the graphs of what you been mixing in the console - NO, there´s no such program for the d8b to show you on the PC -
just in case you´re thinking of something one has with the studiomanager and a YAMAHA DM2000.

Hope I was helpful,

Manfred.
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jimmyd » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Thanks Manfred for your reply.

I had a power problem and think it destroyed some files on the hard drive. I reloaded the d8b software on another drive and tried to put the original drive in a usb case to see if I could see the session files, not the contents but no luck.

I only have 2 sessions that I need to save but they could save me alot of time. If I can get the original drive to take a d8b os load and I don't format, will it load over the original os and leave the session files intact? If so I can transfer them to diskette and put on my now working machine.

Thanks again for your help.

jimmyd
jimmyd

Postby hyaena » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:50 am

Hi Jimmy,

beginning to see, what the problem is.
So you have a running system, but 2 sessions on a destroyed HD that you want to transfer to the running system.

I doubt, you´d be able to make a d8b os install without overwriting the original dat (that you want to save).
Only way I could think of, is transferrring them via FTP from your faulty HD via Cat5 to PC - when they´re not there, they´re lost anyhow, face the fact.

Can you boot the d8b with the old HD ?
Then try to transfer your 2 sessions to PC.

Not to be nosy, but I had a Musical Director once, who used to say in situations like this:
We did it before, we will even do it better the second time !

Good luck
Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jimmyd » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks, The old hard drive would not boot so before I did anything else I reinstalled os to new drive.

For future reference, my original question, will a windows pc see the file structure of a hard drive with d8b os installed and connected by usb? I have seen this referred to a few times in this forum.

Again, thanks for your help
jimmyd

Postby Old School » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Jimmy,
The answer to your question is yes. I have done this before & you can even drop & drag these files to save them on your computer. Sad to say though if the hard drive is truly fried, then no dice. Does it spin up? One last thing you can try, sometimes it makes a difference how the jumper on the D8B drive is set. Try setting it to slave or cable select & see if you see any files that way. It's worth a shot.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jimmyd » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Perfect, I thank all of you guys for your help
jimmyd
jimmyd