Change font size   Print view

DIO8 TDIF

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

DIO8 TDIF

Postby Carlo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Dear All,

I was going to connect the DIO8 cards TDIF socket with the MOTU 2408 TDIF by using an AES/EBU Cable havine 25D sub connectors. Will this cable do the job or do i have to buy specifically a TDIF Cable?

Thanks

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DIO8 TDIF

Postby Carlo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Any ideas??
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:00 pm

I have to use TDIF cable when going between my HDR and d8b. Not sure that is what you are asking though since you mention something about AES/EBU. It can't be just any 25 pin, had to be wired to Tascam standard.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi crash I bought an aes/ebu cable 25pin. if I connect it to a tdif socket, will it work or not. I don't want to short the dio8 card and or motu .

Is the aes/ebu wiring different from Tdif?
Attachments
20150731_224300.jpg
Aes/ebu multicore cable
20150731_224300.jpg (Array MiB) Viewed 2123 times
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 am

Hey Carlo;

There is a difference in the pin out between AES/EBU, TDIF and Analog. I will look the morning (my time zone) and get back to you with the difference. I do know that Analog & TDIF are not compatible. I will need to check the pin-out between TDIF & AES/EBU.

The other difference is that AES/EBu is 110 Ohms and it is fussy about that. TDIF is not fussy.

If you need TDIF cables I have 2 or 3 that I will send you as I do not use it any more. I made the switch to AES/EBU, which as Mike Rivers has pointed out, has it's drawbacks.

I'll get back to you ASAP.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:51 am

Here is the "Tech Info"

Anaolog & AES/EBU- http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... Pinout.pdf

TDIF- http://www.panix.com/~jens/da-88/tdif.html

Tascam add- http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... ECHDOC.pdf

It appears from the Tascam link that "TDIF & AES/EBU are standard? Not sure that that means. More to come.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:57 am

Hey all

Thanks for the intervention. In fact when i bought the cable in the pic above i had in mind an analogue cable and the supplier provided me with the AES/EBU cable. He in fact told me that the AES/EBU pinout scheme follows the analog one and is compatible. I used it as an analogue cable between two Analogue cards in the ALT slot of my both d8b's and it worked fine. I found out that cables designed for AES/EBU are automatically low capacitance and likely to produce superior analog audio as well.

But im a bit confused on the difference between TDIF and AES. I think the wiring is different. So in other words i cant use the AES cable to act as a TDIF.

Thanks loads for your help
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi Carlo's;

Still looking for the pin out of TDIF but I do kow that AES/EBU and Analog are not the same pin out on a db25 connector. That is for sure. It is the same for an XLR-3. Not sure if the audio quality is better using digital cable versus good quality analog cable, like Canare or Hosa? The cost of the digital would be higher.

Looking to see if TDIF and AES/EBU are the same! Will continue and get back to you with an answer ASAP.

I will reply to your PM when I get a chance.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Cheers Bruce
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Well I see smarter folks have prevailed in my absence. The cable I built was TDIF on the 25 pin side and AES/EBU side was whatever that standard was for the XLR M/F that would have plugged into the ProTools boxes in the studio we were working in....if that makes sense.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum