Change font size   Print view

?? d8b V5 software bug???

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

?? d8b V5 software bug???

Postby Carlo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Dear All,

Recently i was hearing a very nasty digital distortion on the monitors. This happens when the d8b is working full blown with nearly all the channels being occupied during playback. Im 100% sure that this digital distortion is not coming from my DAW (cubase5) and or the sound card because i changed sound cards and also changed cubase versions and even OS. I thought it was a corrupted cubase session but the problem goes away when muting e.g. bass channel from the mixer. The bass wave is intact and no distortion at all. It feels like when adding more channels to the mixer during playback a distortion/clip is heard....and please note that the master volume is below clipping ;) its set at -14.0 db

Im suspecting there is something wrong with the V5 software. Im suspecting corruption. I have used a brand new session on the d8b and when starting building up the mix all will be ok until all channels/waves are added with eq's comps etc.

What do you think?

Im clocked to apogee card and all optical cables are brand new. I tried to clock to ADAT too and the problem persisted. I swapped the clock card with a spare apogee and the problem persisted. The distortion is certainly a digital clip but channels are way below clipping. Ive seen a post here on the forum that on the d8b 'channel list' option there is a limiter which should be OFF for all channels...that limiter is OFF in my case.

Your help....before i do a complete format and reinstall the software.

Regards

Carlo
Last edited by Carlo on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: ?? d8b V5 software bug???

Postby Carlo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Oh something else.....

If i lower e.g. the bass channel fader the clip is inaudible but the power of the instrument/bass will be lost. It seems like the mixer is not showing the clipping/RED LED when the volume is loud on that particular channel. Its as if the clipping threshold is far below of what im really seeing on the meter bridge... THAT IS WHY IM SUSPECTING CORRUPTED SOFTWARE!!

Some of my faders are above UNITY...let say 2.5 or 3db BUT clipping is not an issue here and the RED LED will light occasionally.
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:57 pm

I think a reinstall is in your future...I have had the d8b loaded with stuff going on every channel and never experienced that issue. Just for giggles, can you back the digital trim down and see what happens?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:11 pm

:o :o Oh to tell you the truth i forgot about the digital trim...well it could be it Crash. This works by pushing the TRIM button then the V-pots are used to adjust the level to tape....am i right If i recall well....? i think i took the d8b for-granted :? .

Its making sense Bro... Is the Trim adjusted once and for all or can it be adjusted for every Session you do?
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:05 pm

There is a level to tape and a digital trim. I have been down the road before where I adjusted something with the trim and forgot to reselect pan, start adjusting a pan and a track goes away or blows my head off depending on if I tried to pan left or right. The trim levels save with the session.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:50 am

Hey Crash,

Thanks for the tip...it has worked. I forgot about the Digital trim. However the TRIM was set to UNITY but i had to lower 2.0db's to tame the channel = digital clip vanished.

Thanks

Carlo
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Awesome, I love it when it turns out to be something simple.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum